Senior Data Engineer
- 283 4th St, Oakland, CA 94607, USA
Recent years have made us all too familiar with the destruction that natural disasters can bring about, and the increasing frequency and intensity with which they are occurring. Every year we are faced with the harsh impact that wildfires, hurricanes, and floods have on millions of lives. Despite mounting losses, conventional methods of risk modeling at best paint an incomplete picture of these threats, and at worst, get them completely wrong. Better outcomes require better preparedness. Better preparedness requires better modeling, which requires better data and better approaches to working with that data.
Zesty.ai uses novel data gathering and machine learning approaches to produce higher quality information about the risks to property from catastrophes like floods and wildfires. While AI alone may not be able to thwart these disasters, it can help us be more prepared for them, and ultimately that will lead to better outcomes.
We have partnered with leading insurance carriers and reinsurers to underwrite risk more accurately, provide customers a smoother purchasing experience and manage inspections more cost-effectively. Are you ready to help us change the world?
As a Senior Data Engineer, you have a strong interest/experience working with remote sensing and imagery. You will play a pivotal role in building the platform that delivers processed data and imagery to our machine learning systems. You are comfortable and able to work in advanced imagery manipulation and GIS processing. The ideal candidate thrives in a collaborative, creative environment that moves fast. You are passionate about designing technology that elegantly solves complex business problems and you have an opinion about doing things the right way.
Think you might be Zesty enough? If yes, we’d love to talk to you.
What You’ll Do:
- Working on data cleansing, batch processing, data transformations, and other data manipulations to enable our data science efforts.
- Advanced image manipulation
- Geometry/geographic calculations
- Serving as part of the core team for the technology stack
- Partnering closely with the Founders to bring a disruptive AI based technology platform to the insurance and real estate markets
- Investigating and prototyping new technologies
What You Bring to the zesty.ai Team:
- Bachelor's Degree is required: Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- At least 2 years of employment as a data engineer in a professional setting, or other relevant development experience
- Expert in python
- Expert working with cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc)
- Experience with Airflow or other workflow management software
- Ability to define data model and data storage strategies, including knowledge of distributed data systems
- Ability to manage multiple/competing priorities and make the right tradeoffs and timely delivery of features
- Experience or familiarity with geography, geometry and GIS systems
- Experience working with satellite/remote imagery
- Relevant education (Coding Bootcamp, and/or Bachelors in Computer Science) or equivalent experience
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- Be part of a well-funded early-stage start-up
- Market competitive comp and equity incentives to give you a stake in our future
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you and your dependents
- Pre-tax commuter & parking benefits
- Flexible Time Off
- An upbeat and collaborative work culture
- Company-sponsored outings
- Free One Medical membership
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.