Machine Learning Scientist
- 331 Jefferson St, Oakland, CA 94607, USA
Recent years have made us all too familiar with the destruction that natural disasters can bring about, and the increasing frequency and intensity with which they are occurring. Every year we are faced with the devastation and harsh impact that wildfires, hurricanes, and floods have on millions of lives. Despite mounting losses, conventional methods of risk modeling at best paint an incomplete picture of these threats, and at worst, get them completely wrong. Better outcomes require better preparedness. Better preparedness requires better modeling, which requires better data and better approaches to working with that data.
Zesty.ai uses novel data gathering and machine learning approaches to produce higher quality information about the risks to property from catastrophes like floods and wildfires. While AI alone may not be able to thwart these disasters, it can help us be more prepared for them, and ultimately that will lead to better outcomes.
We have partnered with leading insurance carriers and reinsurers to underwrite risk more accurately, provide customers a smoother purchasing experience and manage inspections more cost-effectively.
As a Machine Learning Scientist, you are comfortable and excited to work closely with the engineering team to build the best AI tech possible. You will develop top tier models that will give us strong insights to maximize the impact of our company efforts. You thrive in a collaborative, creative environment that moves fast and are comfortable setting in place structures and processes to help the company scale.
What You’ll Do:
- Help develop the next generation of catastrophe risk models using Zesty.ai’s rich datasets
- Help develop training and cross-validation data sets for machine learning algorithms
- Translate product management, engineering, and business constraints and queries into tractable data science questions
- Iterate rapidly on everything; all of the above happens in a fast paced business driven environment that you must be comfortable with
What You Bring to the Zesty.ai Team:
- BA / BS degree in Math, Physics, Computer Science, Economics and/or Political Science
- 2-4 years of data science experience
- Experience developing and deploying machine learning and statistical models
- Strong organizational and management skills with past experiences implementing best practices and processes
- Experience working with large datasets (millions of rows, hundreds of GBs)
- Proficient in SQL
- Proficient with Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn, xgboost)
- Experience working with cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc)
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Bonus Points if You:
- Have a graduate degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, physical sciences, or a similar technical field
- Have experience working with geospatial data
- Have experience with GIS - ArcGIS/PostGIS/QGIS
- Be part of a well-funded early-stage start-up
- Market competitive comp and equity incentives to give you a stake in our future
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you and your dependents
- Pre-tax commuter & parking benefits
- Flexible Time Off
- An upbeat and collaborative work culture
- Company-sponsored outings
- Free One Medical membership
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.