Senior Data Engineer
- 331 Jefferson St, Oakland, CA 94607, USA
“What’s the slope of your parcel?” “What’s the pitch of your roof?” Three years ago, our founders were shopping for insurance for their personal homes when they were asked all these questions from insurance companies. Realizing that these were difficult questions for the average consumers and recognizing an opportunity to bring their expertise in real estate and data science together, they set out to change the insurance landscape and they continue that mission today.
At zesty.ai, we leverage Artificial Intelligence to change the way the global property insurance industry has been assessing risk for decades. We use the latest advancements in computer vision and deep learning on 115 billion+ data points on residential and commercial structures to extract key building features to accurately model the potential impact of both non-catastrophic and catastrophic loss events, such as hurricanes, floods, wildfires and earthquakes.
We have partnered with leading insurance carriers and reinsurers to underwrite risk more accurately, provide customers a smoother purchasing experience and manage inspections more cost-effectively. Recently, zesty.ai was voted the Most Innovative Insurtech Startup by the global insurance community at the Plug & Play 2018 Summer Expo.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you have a strong interest/experience working with remote sensing and imagery. You will play a pivotal role in building the platform that delivers processed data and imagery to our machine learning systems. You are comfortable and able to work in advanced imagery manipulation and GIS processing. The ideal candidate thrives in a collaborative, creative environment that moves fast. You are passionate about designing technology that elegantly solves complex business problems and you have an opinion about doing things the right way.
Think you might be Zesty enough? If yes, we’d love to talk to you.
What You’ll Do:
- Working on data cleansing, batch processing, data transformations, and other data manipulations to enable our data science efforts.
- Advanced image manipulation
- Geometry/geographic calculations
- Serving as part of the core team for the technology stack
- Partnering closely with the Founders to bring a disruptive AI based technology platform to the insurance and real estate markets
- Investigating and prototyping new technologies
What You Bring to the zesty.ai Team:
- Bachelor's Degree is required
- At least 2 years of employment as a data engineer in a professional setting, or other relevant development experience
- Expert in python
- Expert working with cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc)
- Experience with Airflow or other workflow management software
- Ability to define data model and data storage strategies, including knowledge of distributed data systems
- Ability to manage multiple/competing priorities and make the right tradeoffs and timely delivery of features
- Experience or familiarity with geography, geometry and GIS systems
- Experience working with satellite/remote imagery
- Relevant education (Coding Bootcamp, and/or Bachelors in Computer Science) or equivalent experience
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- Be part of a well-funded early-stage start-up
- Market competitive comp and equity incentives to give you a stake in our future
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you and your dependents
- Pre-tax commuter & parking benefits
- Flexible Time Off
- An upbeat and collaborative work culture
- Company-sponsored outings
- Free One Medical membership
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.