Senior Software Engineer, Backend
- 331 Jefferson St, Oakland, CA 94607, USA
“What’s the slope of your parcel?” “What’s the pitch of your roof?” Three years ago, our founders were shopping for insurance for their personal homes when they were asked all these questions from insurance companies. Realizing that these were difficult questions for the average consumers and recognizing an opportunity to bring their expertise in real estate and data science together, they set out to change the insurance landscape and they continue that mission today.
At zesty.ai, we leverage Artificial Intelligence to change the way the global property insurance industry has been assessing risk for decades. We use the latest advancements in computer vision and deep learning on 115 billion+ data points on residential and commercial structures to extract key building features to accurately model the potential impact of both non-catastrophic and catastrophic loss events, such as hurricanes, floods, wildfires and earthquakes.
We have partnered with leading insurance carriers and reinsurers to underwrite risk more accurately, provide customers a smoother purchasing experience and manage inspections more cost-effectively. Recently, zesty.ai was voted the Most Innovative Insurtech Startup by the global insurance community at the Plug & Play 2018 Summer Expo.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you are comfortable designing scalable APIs and distributed systems. You will have strong interests in all things data, and a passion for delivering high quality, rock-solid code. You will be part of the core technical team that will be charting the course for the entire platform. You thrive in a collaborative, creative environment that moves fast and are comfortable learning new skills and working with unfamiliar technologies.
Think you might be Zesty enough? If yes, we’d love to talk to you.
What You’ll Do:
- Architecture and development on our enterprise-grade data access APIs and data platform
- Architecture and development of our application APIs
- Working with imagery from satellites, low-flying aircrafts, drones etc
- DevOps and system stability
- Serving as part of the core team for the technology stack
- Partnering closely with the Founders to bring a disruptive AI based technology platform to the insurance and real estate markets
- Investigating and prototyping new technologies
What You Bring to the zesty.ai Team:
- At least 7 years of employment as a platform/back-end engineer in a professional setting
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- Expert in python, NodeJS, and other languages
- Ability to easily dive into code written in unfamiliar languages
- Expertise working with cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc) and designing large-scale cloud architecture
- Strong experience with complex application integrations
- Ability to define data model and data storage strategies, including knowledge of distributed data systems
- Ability to manage multiple/competing priorities and make the right tradeoffs and timely delivery of features
- Strong experience planning and writing unit, functional, and integration tests, load profiling and testing, and performance and availability monitoring
- Experience or familiarity with geography, geometry and GIS systems
- Experience working with imagery and image manipulation
- Relevant education (Coding Bootcamp, and/or Bachelors in Computer Science) or equivalent experience
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.