Senior Software Engineer, Backend
- 283 4th St, Oakland, CA 94607, USA
Recent years have made us all too familiar with the destruction that natural disasters can bring about, and the increasing frequency and intensity with which they are occurring. Every year we are faced with the harsh impact that wildfires, hurricanes, and floods have on millions of lives. Despite mounting losses, conventional methods of risk modeling at best paint an incomplete picture of these threats, and at worst, get them completely wrong. Better outcomes require better preparedness. Better preparedness requires better modeling, which requires better data and better approaches to working with that data.
Zesty.ai uses novel data gathering and machine learning approaches to produce higher quality information about the risks to property from catastrophes like floods and wildfires. While AI alone may not be able to thwart these disasters, it can help us be more prepared for them, and ultimately that will lead to better outcomes.
We have partnered with leading insurance carriers and reinsurers to underwrite risk more accurately, provide customers a smoother purchasing experience and manage inspections more cost-effectively. Are you ready to help us change the world?
As a Senior Software Engineer, you are comfortable designing scalable APIs and distributed systems. You will have strong interests in all things data, and a passion for delivering high quality, rock-solid code. You will be part of the core technical team that will be charting the course for the entire platform. You thrive in a collaborative, creative environment that moves fast and are comfortable learning new skills and working with unfamiliar technologies.
Think you might be Zesty enough? If yes, we’d love to talk to you.
What You’ll Do:
- Architecture and development on our enterprise-grade data access APIs and data platform
- Architecture and development of our application APIs
- Working with imagery from satellites, low-flying aircrafts, drones etc
- DevOps and system stability
- Serving as part of the core team for the technology stack
- Partnering closely with the Founders to bring a disruptive AI based technology platform to the insurance and real estate markets
- Investigating and prototyping new technologies
What You Bring to the zesty.ai Team:
- Bachelor's Degree is required: Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- At least 7 years of employment as a platform/back-end engineer in a professional setting
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- Expert in python, NodeJS, and other languages
- Ability to easily dive into code written in unfamiliar languages
- Expertise working with cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc) and designing large-scale cloud architecture
- Strong experience with complex application integrations
- Ability to define data model and data storage strategies, including knowledge of distributed data systems
- Ability to manage multiple/competing priorities and make the right tradeoffs and timely delivery of features
- Strong experience planning and writing unit, functional, and integration tests, load profiling and testing, and performance and availability monitoring
- Experience or familiarity with geography, geometry and GIS systems
- Experience working with imagery and image manipulation
- Relevant education (Coding Bootcamp, and/or Bachelors in Computer Science) or equivalent experience
- Be part of a well-funded early-stage start-up
- Market competitive comp and equity incentives to give you a stake in our future
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you and your dependents
- Pre-tax commuter & parking benefits
- Flexible Time Off
- An upbeat and collaborative work culture
- Company-sponsored outings
- Free One Medical membership
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.