Finance Director - Corporate Strategy & Business Development (Deals)
- 1440 O'Brien Dr, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Zai Lab (NSDAQ: ZLAB) is an innovative, research-based, commercial stage biopharmaceutical company based in China and the U.S. focused on bringing transformative medicines for cancer, autoimmune and infectious diseases to patients in China and around the world.
Headquartered in Shanghai since our founding in 2014, our experienced team has secured partnerships with leading global biopharma companies, generating a broad and late-stage pipeline of innovative drug candidates. Based on our extensive track record of execution and delivering results, Zai Lab has earned the reputation as a trusted partner of choice for global biopharmaceutical companies seeking to not only access the Chinese market but also find a long-term strategic partner for global clinical development. Through these partnerships, Zai Lab has built the strongest late stage oncology portfolio with global first-in-class and/or best-in-class profile, among innovative Chinese biotech companies. We are further supplementing our pipeline with an in-house discovery effort aiming to produce 1-2 global INDs per year.
Zai Lab is rapidly expanding into a fully integrated biopharmaceutical company, discovering, developing, manufacturing and commercializing innovative medicines. To that end, we have built our internal R&D center to advance our discovery pipeline, a strong clinical development and operations team, and our own manufacturing facilities in China. We have also established a highly specialized commercial team to support marketing of our innovative products in China. We believe this integrated approach will provide sustainable competitive advantages for Zai Lab.
Zai Lab was successfully listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market in September 2017 and completed secondary listing on Hong Kong Stock Exchange in September 2020. Zai Lab significantly expanded with several offices across China and U.S. and opened its U.S. headquarters in San Francisco in December 2018. As of June 2021, the Company has a global team of over 1600 employees.
(**Please Note - this is a remote position)
The Deal Finance Director provides financial and analytical support to Corporate Strategy and Business Development group. The role works closely with all members of the cross functional deal team and is a vital resource and independent advisor for the group. We are seeking for experienced candidate with Biotech and Pharmaceutical industry experience to develop valuation model and provide insights to support renewal and new business efforts. This is a highly visible role and ideal for someone who enjoys financial modelling and deal making.
- Develop deep understanding of bio-pharma industry, particularly new technology platforms, competitive landscape, and commercial viabilities
- Develop financial models to analyze economics of new license deal or major alliance deals. Evaluates proposals, prepares financial scenarios, and develops a point of view
- Analyze tax and P&L accounting treatment options and provide independent views on the most value added deal terms
- Write up Accounting Issue Note, and follow through the accounting treatment for the initial deal transaction
- Ensure post deal transition to post deal finance manager
- Ensure compliance and documentation for audit purposes
- Prepare presentations for senior management
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or Accounting MBA or CPA preferred
- 5+ years of related experiences working in a highly analytical environment (investment banking, business development, consulting, strategy group)
- Experience in biotech/pharma industry
- International work experience preferred, but not required
- Excellent skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and dealing with large data sets and database
- Consistent track record of solid business judgement and decision-making with ability to plan effectively and execute timely to deadlines
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment and navigate through ambiguity and drive change
- Detailed orientated with the highest regard for accuracy and completeness
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to build successful relationships and partner with all levels of a company’s organization
- Creative and innovative team player with a positive approach and a focus on business solutions
- Fluency in both Mandarin and English is preferred, but not required
- Hands-on, can roll up the sleeves and get things done
- Strong leadership and gravitas
Diversity Statement: At Zai Lab we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
Zai Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Zai Lab makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.
Recruiter Statement: Zai Lab acknowledges that providers may be a valuable resource for identifying and recruiting candidates for employment. However, we require that all recruiters engage directly with Zai Lab’s Human Resources Team and comply with Zai Lab’s requirements prior to transmitting any resumes/CVs or introducing any candidates to Zai Lab. Zai Lab’s Human Resource Team is the only function within the Company that can enter contractual relationships with external recruiters and recruiting agencies.