Medical Director - Early Stage Development
- 1440 O'Brien Dr, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Zai Lab (NSDAQ: ZLAB) is an innovative, research-based, commercial stage biopharmaceutical company based in China and the U.S. focused on bringing transformative medicines for cancer, autoimmune and infectious diseases to patients in China and around the world.
Headquartered in Shanghai since our founding in 2014, our experienced team has secured partnerships with leading global biopharma companies, generating a broad and late-stage pipeline of innovative drug candidates. Based on our extensive track record of execution and delivering results, Zai Lab has earned the reputation as a trusted partner of choice for global biopharmaceutical companies seeking to not only access the Chinese market but also find a long-term strategic partner for global clinical development. Through these partnerships, Zai Lab has built the strongest late stage oncology portfolio with global first-in-class and/or best-in-class profile, among innovative Chinese biotech companies. We are further supplementing our pipeline with an in-house discovery effort aiming to produce 1-2 global INDs per year.
Zai Lab is rapidly expanding into a fully integrated biopharmaceutical company, discovering, developing, manufacturing and commercializing innovative medicines. To that end, we have built our internal R&D center to advance our discovery pipeline, a strong clinical development and operations team, and our own manufacturing facilities in China. We have also established a highly specialized commercial team to support marketing of our innovative products in China. We believe this integrated approach will provide sustainable competitive advantages for Zai Lab.
Zai Lab was successfully listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market in September 2017 and completed secondary listing on Hong Kong Stock Exchange in September 2020. Zai Lab significantly expanded with several offices across China and U.S. and opened its U.S. headquarters in San Francisco in December 2018. As of June 2021, the Company has a global team of over 1600 employees.
We are seeking an experienced clinical development leader to support the growth of our global development efforts within oncology. The Medical Director reports to the Executive Director, Clinical Development and provides clinical and drug development expertise for early-stage drug development assets primarily focused on DNA damage response (DDR) and immuno-oncology. The position will support more than one asset in the early phases of drug development. This opportunity will actively provide scientific leadership to a cross functional clinical team guiding strategic design, execution, and interpretation of key clinical studies. They will assume visibility both within the Zai organization as well as externally through interactions with partners to monitor study participants, maintain study conduct and protocol compliance. This newly created position has evolved due to the growth of the pipeline and the ongoing support needed to expand the US based global footprint.
Given the continued growth to our R&D pipeline activities, a summary of the additional responsibilities includes the following:
- Provide key medical expertise and input in supporting the development and management of early stage pipeline assets, immuno-oncology preferred
- Provide strategic and tactical direction to project teams
- Assist in preparation of protocol writing
- Interpret data, assess the integrity of trial data, and provide scientific summaries
- Provide support for the regulatory documentation and submission for the clinical program
- Ensure operational execution of the clinical trials
- Work within a matric team organization to drive and deliver timely completion of all clinical activities
- Engage with key external partners, including site investigators
- Integrate relevant scientific findings from the trials and the literature to facilitate research
- MD/ PhD/ PharmD/ or Secondary Scientific Degree with Immuno-Oncology experience
- A minimum of 2 years in the pharmaceutical industry and/or a strong academic clinical trial experience
- Strong scientific knowledge of basic research in its application to the drug development process
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work and collaborate within a matrix team organization
- Demonstrated expertise in drug trial design, scientific writing, and successful implementation of clinical protocols and clinical study reports
- Experience in reviewing & interpreting study data/reports and presenting findings to the project team
- Support building and maintaining effective relationships with external partners
- Excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment with proven agility in prioritizing and navigating competing demands
- Exhibits integrity, honesty, and sense of accountability
Diversity Statement: At Zai Lab we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
Zai Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Zai Lab makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.
Recruiter Statement: Zai Lab acknowledges that providers may be a valuable resource for identifying and recruiting candidates for employment. However, we require that all recruiters engage directly with Zai Lab’s Human Resources Team and comply with Zai Lab’s requirements prior to transmitting any resumes/CVs or introducing any candidates to Zai Lab. Zai Lab’s Human Resource Team is the only function within the Company that can enter contractual relationships with external recruiters and recruiting agencies.