- Houston, Texas, Houston, TX, United States
WireCo WorldGroup is the world's leader in manufacturing, engineering, and distributing wire rope, synthetic rope, specialized assemblies, wire products and electromechanical cable. We specialize in rope for the gas and oil industry for mining and off shore drilling, cranes, bridges and military installations.
The Product Engineer is a critical role in WireCo’s journey to be the technical leader in our industry segments by delivering market driven innovation and solutions. This position will connect customer needs with advancements in materials, product design, and manufacturing capabilities. The Product Engineer will lead by example all aspects of the WireCo Business System (WBS) including the Behaviors – teamwork, accountable, self-aware, noble intent, determined, transparent, and curious.
As a Product Engineer, you will have many and varied responsibilities to manage. This position will be a technical leader and will work with a variety of functional groups. You will be responsible for executing the technical roadmap for the development of new products or improvements to existing products, including but not limited to, the design, procurement, processing, testing, application, and implementation of them in WireCo’s manufacturing facilities and beyond to customers. Using your deep knowledge of WireCo products, WireCo’s strategic plans, product performance, manufacturing, and evolving industry needs, you will provide leadership and support to the industry specific Principal Engineers as well as manufacturing and commercial teams. As a Staff Product Engineer, you will be a member of a specific industry team such as Cranes, Energy, Mining, or General Industrial within the Product Design and Technical Service Engineering department.
This position would be based at one of WireCo’s steel manufacturing locations or offices. Domestic and international travel will be required approximately 25% of the time.
Scope Measures (Specific targets to be set during goal setting process.)
- Timely delivery of new or improved products and solutions, aligned with WireCo’s strategic plan and specific end market strategies achieved using WireCo’s stage gate processes which are designed to mitigate and manage risks.
- Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) for your assigned industry.
- Translate customer requirements, industry, standards, and manufacturing capabilities into product and process design.
- Ability to perform failure analysis, determine root cause and appropriate corrective actions, and implement corrective actions.
- Establish the use of sound engineering standards, data analysis practices, and testing protocols.
- Maintain technical expertise on advancement and innovations in your area of expertise.
- Ensure WireCo’s representation on industry boards, councils, standards committees, and technical conferences
- Cultivate and maintain effective partnerships with stakeholders including raw material suppliers, equipment manufacturers, external customers, commercial team members, operators, manufacturing leaders, and other engineering groups.
- Motivate self and others by initiating actions and effectively communicating project goals, requirements, and results to stakeholders.
- Spend approximately 70-90% of time communicating with internal stakeholders, such as but not limited to, Product Management, Operations Management, Sales Management, and the Commercial Excellence teams.
- Spend approximately 10-30% of time communicating with external stakeholders such as customers and suppliers, acting as a technical authority for WireCo.
Knowledge and Experience
- University degree in Engineering or related discipline required, advanced degree preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in relevant engineering roles
- Solid foundation of engineering fundamentals related to the area of study
- Ability to learn to achieve practical ends through the application of scientific principles
- English required
- Multiple language proficiency is preferred
- Active driver’s license
- Background check required for business travel purposes
- Valid passport required for business travel purposes
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disability