Director, Revenue Management
- Washington, DC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
WHAT IS WHYHOTEL?
WhyHotel is a venture-capital backed DC-based startup that operates both residential and hospitality assets, as well as "turn-key, pop-up hotels" in newly built, vacant luxury apartments during their lease-up phase. Blurring the line between hospitality and home, our model offers stays of all lengths and types, both furnished and unfurnished, and provides everything from a fully serviced apartment-home experience to the value and space of a home-share with the consistency and service of a luxury hotel.
Thanks to WhyHotel, real estate developers have a new way to leverage vacant units during lease-up vacancy, and you have a new way to travel! As part of the WhyHotel family, all employees receive competitive compensation and benefits- including an equity stake in the company.
In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring that our growing portfolio of properties meet revenue and RevPAR targets and balancing our inventory to its most profitable usage. You will play a critical part in helping WhyHotel successfully disrupt both the hospitality and real estate sectors by constantly optimizing revenue and occupancy. Key responsibilities include:
- Fully own and lead the Revenue Management function, including directing the current team, building a growth plan, and acquiring new talent while maintaining efficiency
- Oversee inventory and rate strategies for properties across all revenue segments, including:
- Direct Bookings (website and by phone)
- Third-party Channels (OTAs, Homesharing Portals)
- Managed Travel (Consortia, Corporate Travel, GDS)
- Corporate/Furnished Housing
- Build and execute pricing strategy for all hotels, including a plan for hitting Revenue and RevPAR targets
- Define, standardize, and track Revenue Management KPIs on daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Be an expert on the competition, with a strong understanding of local markets and competitive dynamics to beat and exceed budgeted revenue
- Forecast future monthly performance for each property through quantitative market analysis
- Establish an effective partnership with the Head of Sales, building and adhering to a rate quoting/approval process to build appropriate base of business and occupancy over lower demand periods
- Work with the Associate, Distribution & E-commerce to ensure all channels for new hotels coming online are setup and communicating effectively within 45 days to go-live, enabling pre-sell
- Collaborate with Marketing team to ensure alignment on brand and customer acquisition strategy
- Help VP, Revenue & Growth build ongoing processes and hardwire the right routines into the business, and determine which tasks we can automate/outsource and which we need to retain
- Evaluate new deals alongside VP, Revenue & Growth, setting revenue targets and inventory utilization expectations
- Collaborate with Tech and Data Science teams to build and test pricing algorithms
- 5+ years of revenue management and strategic rate pricing experience across multiple properties. Prior experience at a top-tier consulting firm is a bonus.
- You have a track record of strong team leadership and an ability to develop strategy.
- You are analytical and data-driven when making decisions. You can sift through large amounts of data and come up with creative solutions to complex problems. You crush a complex excel model.
- You are comfortable with change and a problem solver extraordinaire. You thrive in dynamic, ever changing environments. When faced with obstacles, you are inherently self-motivated to find solutions.
- You are a strong individual contributor with a team-oriented mindset who will happily do the heavy lifting for the benefit of the team, even if it isn’t your responsibility. You work autonomously while managing up effectively.
- You are accountable. You thrive and enjoy being on the hook and have a bias for action. You own it.
- You can think through implementation challenges and figure out what it takes to get the job done. You are great at gaining buy-in and ensuring next steps are taken. You are ruthless at follow-through.
- You are an eager learner who is passionate about finding the next dollar. You are fascinated by the dynamics of consumer (and ideally hospitality) businesses. You enjoy trying to understand the customer and are thrilled when your product or pricing strategy influences customer behavior (and generates more revenue!).
- You get the most out of your team over the short and long term, prioritizing effectively and maintaining a positive, growth-oriented, and winning team spirit.
- You challenge the status quo. You pay attention to lessons learned and constantly fine tune as you go.
- You are an excellent communicator. You have healthy habits of documenting your decisions and regularly sharing status updates. You distill complex issues and prepare executive-level summaries. You instinctively know when to escalate problems and ask for help when appropriate.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Other nice to know information:
- Salary: Commensurate with experience.
- Equity: All full-time employees are eligible for stock option grants upon joining our team and thereafter annually.
- Benefits + Perks: We offer medical, dental, and vision coverage. You’re eligible to participate in our 401(k) after your first 6 months with us and we match up to 100% of every dollar you contribute to our 401(k) up to 4%. We’ll reimburse you $65/monthly for your cell phone.
- Manager: You’ll report directly to Scott Keenan, VP Revenue & Growth at WhyHotel.
- Location: Flexible. You will occasionally be expected to travel to our corporate headquarters in Washington D.C. and to our hotel locations.
- Team Beats Individual: We are in this together. We hold all team members responsible for bringing talent into our organization and guests to our hotels -- after all, it’s the only way we’re going to grow.