Staff Engineer, Equipment Development Engineering
- Job Type (exemption status): Exempt position - Please see related compensation & benefits details below
- Business Function: Manufacturing Equipment Engineering
- Work Location: Penang SDSM Office--LOC_SNDK_Seberang Perai Office
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
As a Staff/Principal Engineer in the Equipment Development Department for Flash Drive Manufacturing, you'll be instrumental in navigating equipment development. This includes evaluating, selecting, and optimizing manufacturing processes and equipment. Your role involves making crucial decisions on equipment procurement, utilizing Design of Experiments (DOE) for studying new materials and processes. Effective communication with stakeholders is essential for successful project outcomes. This position demands expertise in the flash back end, spanning from wafer fab to back-end processes.
Equipment Evaluation and Procurement:
- Conduct studies on new equipment and processes in response to the introduction of innovative products.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define equipment requirements, specifications, and timelines for product manufacturing.
- Provide hands-on leadership in packaging and silicon-related FA analysis for rapid risk identification and improvement areas for both new NPI products and HVM products.
- Assess assembly risks during Fab new processes or design changes in mass production.
- Design of Experiments (DOE):
- Systematically apply DOE methodologies to study and optimize new materials and manufacturing processes for flash drive components, covering SMT line, wafer fab, wafer front end, and wafer back end.
- Collaborate with R&D and process engineering teams to design and execute experiments aimed at enhancing product quality, yield, and efficiency.
- Provide strong technical leadership, driving fundamental-based packaging technology development, and leading investigations on complex technology issues involving both fab and assembly packaging teams.
- Communication and Collaboration:
- Engage with internal teams, including R&D, manufacturing, and quality assurance, to comprehend project requirements and constraints for flash drive manufacturing.
- Effectively communicate with equipment vendors, negotiating terms, specifications, and ensuring seamless integration of new equipment into the manufacturing process for both flash drives and wafers.
- Collaborate with technicians and operators, providing training and support during equipment implementation and operation.
- Project Management:
- Manage projects related to equipment development, ensuring adherence to timelines, budgets, and quality standards for flash drive manufacturing.
- Regularly provide project updates to key stakeholders, addressing challenges, and proposing solutions to maintain project progress.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience in equipment and/or process development for flash drive manufacturing, covering SMT line, wafer fab, wafer front end, and wafer back-end processes.
- Strong knowledge of flash drive manufacturing processes and materials, with expertise in machines related to SMT line, wafer front end, and wafer back end.
- Understanding of NAND/ASIC operation principles, Experience in Chip Package Interaction (CPI), packaging materials, process, thermal, and package design.
- Proficiency in applying Design of Experiments (DOE) for process optimization.
- Experience in wafer fabrication processes such as lithography, etching, deposition, PVD will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with diverse teams.
- Project management experience is a plus.
- Ability to make informed decisions regarding equipment selection and procurement.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
NOTICE TO CANDIDATES: Western Digital has received reports of scams where a payment is requested on Western Digital’s behalf as a condition for receiving an offer of employment. Please be aware that Western Digital and its subsidiaries will never request payment as a condition for applying for a position or receiving an offer of employment. Should you encounter any such requests, please report it immediately to [email protected].