Software Engineer Java/J2EE/NodeJS/Python
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Business Function: Software Development Engineering (Apps)
- Work Location: Edinburgh Office--LOC_SNDK_Edinburgh Office
- Job Type (exemption status): Exempt position - Please see related compensation & benefits details below
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
- Explore and develop solutions for sustainable large-scale and distributed data processing and integration pipelines.
- Evaluate products, including open-source tools, and possibly incorporate them into projects.
- Work closely with multi-national teams to understand requirements, business models, and infrastructures, in order to incorporate them into projects.
- Keen to learn new software technology and features and integrate them into projects.
- Work with the rest of the team to integrate these algorithms into larger solutions.
- Perform other duties as required.
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Computer Engineering (or equivalent experience) with 5-7 years in software development roles.
- Strong programming and algorithmic thinking skills, including efficient recursive algorithms, algorithm efficiency analysis, concurrent programming, and object-oriented paradigm.
- Willing to learn and adopt to new technologies is a must.
- Experience with scalable and distributed application designing.
- Experience with web service and microservices development.
- Experience with Java/J2EE, Kafka
- Experience with NodeJS and server-side scripting.
- Experience with Python development.
- Experience with Docker containerization
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with MySQL/MongoDB/Cassandra
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.