LAUNCH Staff Engineer Electronic Design
- Irvine, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Business Function: Electronic Design Engineering
- Work Location: Irvine Office--LOC_WDT_USCA01
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
As the Staff Engineer for Electronic Design Engineering, you will be a part of the Advanced System Integration in CTO organization. The successful candidate will utilize knowledge and technical skills in electronic engineering, information systems engineering, and communications engineering to initiate the design, development, execution and implementation of research projects in data storage devices. You will support to develop and integrate products the failure analysis, data analytics, device integration and hardware proto-type bring-up with cross-functional teams. You are an independent problem solver, and have exceptional communication skills.
The Staff Engineer is
- Responsible for read channel, preamp, head and media integration for hard disk drives (HDDs), which includes parametric optimization and head media characterization to improve drives yield and performance.
- To develop new features such as: Heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR), super parity or Bit-patterned magnetic recording (BPMR) for Recording Sub-System (RSS), to keep WD HDD’s area density in the leading position of the industry.
- Designing algorithms through concept review, programming, bench validation, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to implement the algorithms in manufacturing system integration.
- Analyzing incoming component data and reliability data to identify opportunities for utilization, yield and reliability improvement.
- Optimizing the drive/build test process and reliability test process.
- In-depth Drive Failure Analysis especially in the area of read channel during production life cycle, by evaluating and simulating read channel performance through MATLAB, Python or probing signal from scope, and identifying the root cause.
- Solid EE fundamentals, a great intuition of electricity and magnetism, understanding of electronics circuits, signal & power integrity analysis
- Deep knowledge of hands-on experience in prototype creation, initial bring-up and debugging, functional verification, and manufacturing support
- Academic background of channel architecture & digital signal processing (DSP) for information storage and error correction coding.
- Ph.D in Electrical Engineering, Communication Engineering or Electronic Engineering preferred or related field and graduating between December 2021 and August 2022
Western Digital is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and employees and will not discriminate based on their race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster.
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.