Senior Engineer, Data Engineering
- BangPa-In, Thailand
- Business Function: Data Engineering
- Work Location: BangPa-In Building 1--LOC_WDT_TH1411
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
As a Data Engineer / Sr. Data Engineer, you will be responsible for understanding the structure and format of data stored in our local and cloud databases, from Wafer Fab to Hard Disk Drive but focusing on Slider Fabrication, and for developing robust and performant SQL and PL/PGSQL methods for retrieving and cleaning that data for other analytics experts, software developers, and general users. The Data Engineer is also responsible for guiding data creators in how to organize and optimize their data for better quality, reliability, and maintainability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with stakeholders in IT, Engineering and Operations, and Analytics to become a subject matter expert for locating, validating, delivering, and maintaining data.
- Educate engineers and other data creators about how to organize and optimize their data to support analytics and business needs.
- Participate in or lead projects to plan, monitor, and optimize data architecture, ETL methods, quality, and latency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science / Engineering, or equivalent. M.S. degrees are welcome, but not required.
- Strong understanding of relational databases and RDBMS systems for structured data.
- Strong working knowledge of SQL, including how to design and maintain relational databases using ETL pipelines.
- 2 years of experience working in data architecture / engineering / quality is preferred, but not required.
- Basic understanding of non-relational databases, such as graph or key/value data stores, is preferred.
- Experience with Amazon Redshift and S3 platforms would be helpful.
- Experience in a manufacturing company would be helpful.
- Strong passion to learn: the desire and capability to learn will be as significant to long-term success at WD as pre-existing knowledge for this position, and probably more.
- Strong analytical thinking, with strong attention to detail and willingness to pursue data consistency and quality.
- Strong written and verbal communication in English, and ability to work in cross-cultural teams.
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.