LAUNCH Staff Engineer, Packaging Engineering
- Milpitas, CA
- Business Function: Packaging Engineering
- Work Location: Milpitas Office--LOC_WDT_USCA25
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
As a Packaging Engineer, you will work in the Packaging R&D group on the design of experiment and testing along with simulation across semiconductor packaging, flash memory product and host levels. In this position, you will be responsible for influencing package and product design by addressing the structural integrity and reliability issues in particular and advancing the technology of semiconductor packaging in general. The scope is to address all mechanical aspects of packaging technology and associated material and process interactions. The focus will be on solutions to meet increased demands for small form factor packages with thinner chips, denser interconnects and higher power. You will be responsible for the design of experiment and testing, and simulation as needed, of mechanical responses of IC package and flash products. This position will interface with package & product design, electrical and physical characterization, reliability testing, failure analysis, assembly R&D and other process teams. Solid background in applied mechanics, especially, experimental solid mechanics, is required. In-depth knowledge of IC packaging is highly desired.
- New and recent graduate student graduating between May 2020 and December 2021
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering plus >3 years of relevant industrial experience.
- Solid knowledge through academic coursework or experience required in mechanical engineering of IC packaging and related areas.
- Strong background in experimental solid mechanics with emphasis on failure analysis and design of experiment.
- Broad knowledge of mechanical behaviors of various material types, such as ceramics and glass, polymers, and metals (e.g., solder).
- Working knowledge in designing and conducting mechanical testing.
- Working knowledge in using a commercial FEA package.
- Good understanding of general semiconductor packaging processes, materials, technology and trends, such as substrate design and manufacturing, molding, wire-bonding, die attach, flip chip, etc.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong work ethic.
- Ability to work in a global, team environment and interact with other engineers to define and implement experiments and conduct relevant simulation for feasibility and validation of concepts and solutions to support new package technology development
Western Digital is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and employees and will not discriminate based on their race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster.
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.