Lead Operations Research Engineer
- Batu Kawan, Malaysia
- Business Function: Data Science
- Work Location: Seberang Perai Office--LOC_SNDK_Seberang Perai Office
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
- Lead Operations Research Engineer, supporting optimization projects at global sites, primarily in the APAC region.
- Collect information about the business problems, understand the related current practices and the desired solution.
- Collect analytical requirements from the business and translate and cast the business problem into analytical problem definition statements.
- Set up the mathematical model of the problem under study, with data I/O interfaces.
- Implement the mathematical model using declarative programming libraries, e.g. FICO Xpress optimization suite.
- Conduct numerical experiments with the model, and present the results to the key project stakeholders.
- Support the go-live phase of the application, leveraging the math model in its core.
- PhD/Masters in Applied Math, Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics or a related field
- 6+ years hands-on experience in optimization modeling and analysis.
- MS in Applied Math, Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics or a related field
- Proven history supporting critical research and development projects, requiring in-depth analytical understanding of systems.
- Working knowledge of optimization tools (Gurobi, Cplex, or Xpress)
- Programming skills with at least one object oriented language (e.g. Java) and one scripting language (e.g Python).
- Experience prototyping and developing software in programming languages (Java/C++/Python/PHP)
- Knowledge of production/manufacturing related optimization problems and techniques (production planning, scheduling etc.)
- Knowledge of stochastic systems analysis and familiarity with machine learning concepts
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving ability.
- Working knowledge of predictive modeling and ML tools (scikit, R)
- Strong English verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills - adept at messaging domain and technical content, at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Experienced at understanding key performance levers and metrics to highlight operational issues and drive improvement.
- Expert ability to identify, define and execute project plans and develop modeling approaches suitable for the problem
- Ability to break down complex problem and projects into manageable sub-tasks and sub-parts for executing rapid projects (10-12 weeks)
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.