Principal Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineering
- Batu Kawan Seberang Perai Selatan, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
- Business Function: Mechanical Design Engineering
- Work Location: Seberang Perai Office--LOC_SNDK_Seberang Perai Office
Background: SanDisk’s Penang SSD Technology Development (PTD) organization is a new SSD technology development group that will be embedded in SanDisk’s green-field production facility, SanDisk Storage Malaysia (SDSM) located in the new Batu Kawan Industrial Park, Penang, Malaysia. PTD is looking for individuals to join a new team tasked with starting up a vertically integrated SSD-focused technology development team with the charter of developing new generations of SSD products for clients, enterprise, and emerging data storage solutions. The vertically integrated manufacturing capability of SDSM represents the most fundamental shift in completing the end-to-end manufacturing value chain for SanDisk’s solid-state NAND data storage products.
General Description: Defines IC package/SMT/SSD drive requirements, goals, and milestones for all SSD product groups and customer requirements. Develops SSD assembly and IC packaging processes to meet quality, reliability, cost, yield, productivity and manufacturing requirements. Develops new package and SMT process qualification programs. Prepares and/or updates specifications for piece parts of integrated circuits or semiconductor assemblies. Plans and conducts experiments to fully characterize processes throughout pathfinding to development to ramp. Develops solutions to improve quality, reliability, cost, yield, process stability/capability, productivity, and safety utilizing formal education, experience, statistical knowledge, and problem-solving tools. Establishes process control systems. Transfers process to high volume manufacturing and provide support in new factory start-up. Acts as a liaison with suppliers/vendors. Maintains product quality while developing and introducing package cost reduction programs. Coordinates the introduction of new package processes into production. Using appropriate tools, performs integrity analysis of packages.
Specific Role Description: Includes the following but not limited to:
- All SSD PTDI mechanical design which involve jigs and fixtures design, reverse engineering & mechanical drawings for entire SSD assembly process.
- Factory light-off automation in term of machine design & product design.
- Design review package (such as Tolerance, and Analysis, DFMEA, etc) for any tooling / fixture designs triggered during Product Development Phase and Sustaining Phase for SSD products.
- Product qualification package (such as product specification, packaging, mechanical drawing, etc) for each qualifies product during Development phase.
- DOE & Failure Analysis knowledge
- ECN/PCN projects by ensure proper qualification / test plan for products / parts, which involve engineering change such as EOL, material change, supplier change or re-tooling.
- Supplier DFM assessment and risk management.
- Overall manufacturing process knowledge especially factory tooling control for operation friendly.
- New Product Introduction experience
- Special engineering characterization, improvement & cost reduction projects
- Factory emergency taskforce support
Requirements: The PTD team embodies a high performance culture, marked by highly analytical, attention-to-details, hyper-productive, highly hands-on individuals. They work together to solve difficult problems. They are innovative. They possess the elusive “complete ownership” characteristic and have strong engineering pride, always willing to go above and beyond.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related disciplines. Academic studies must be in applicable field of engineering/science and demonstrate an academic record of excellence.
- Min 8-10 years work experience in engineering role within semiconductor & automation industry.
- Demonstrated track record to rapidly analyze and solve complex engineering issues in creative manner by a clear understanding of the point of diminishing returns.
- Demonstrated track record to summarize complex design/data sets for technical and non-technical audiences; elegant in DOE design and execution.
- Demonstrated track record in understanding common mechanical commodity used in semiconductor industry such as metal, plastic, rubber & adhesive.
- Demonstrated track record in understanding the making process / tooling construction of the mechanical commodity which not limited to CNC milling, stamping, bending, injection molding, die casting and extrusion.
- Demonstrated track record working hands-on around technical equipment and processes (including metrology and failure analysis techniques)
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed with demonstrated ability to work well with people; have strong inter-cultural intuition
- Proficient in Solidwork CAD software is a must. Knowledge with Solidwork Flow Simulation will be added advantage
- Proficient in tolerances stack up analysis is a must to ensure min 3-sigma design.
- Proven success leading technical team(s) in previous work experience
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
Because Western Digital thrives on the power of diversity and is committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect, and contribution, we are committed to giving every qualified applicant and employee an equal opportunity. Western Digital does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on their protected class status and complies with all federal and state laws against discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, as well as the laws and regulations set forth in the "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" poster.