Technologist, RSS (Recording SubSystem) Engineering
- Irvine, CA
- Business Function: Development Engineering
- Work Location: Irvine Office--LOC_WDT_USCA01
At Western Digital, our vision is to power global innovation and push the boundaries of technology to make what you thought was once impossible, possible.
At our core, Western Digital is a company of problem solvers. People achieve extraordinary things given the right technology. For decades, we’ve been doing just that. Our technology helped people put a man on the moon.
We are a key partner to some of the largest and highest growth organizations in the world. From energizing the most competitive gaming platforms, to enabling systems to make cities safer and cars smarter and more connected, to powering the data centers behind many of the world’s biggest companies and public cloud, Western Digital is fueling a brighter, smarter future.
Binge-watch any shows, use social media or shop online lately? You’ll find Western Digital supporting the storage infrastructure behind many of these platforms. And, that flash memory card that captures and preserves your most precious moments? That’s us, too.
We offer an expansive portfolio of technologies, storage devices and platforms for business and consumers alike. Our data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital®, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Today’s exceptional challenges require your unique skills. It’s You & Western Digital. Together, we’re the next BIG thing in data.
The next big thing in data is you!
The RSS Engineering Lead acts under the leadership of the Development Operation Leadership in implementing multiple HDD programs. The programs may spawn systems features, data analytic projects, systems simulation activities and other developing tasks to successfully deliver a product for the corporation. The engineer will be responsible for completing specific Cross Functional assignments during various development phase and/or in support of Drive Program milestones. The individual in this role will is in the lead position to ensure that the program/project can meet its goals as defined by the corporation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Self-direct and self-motivate in project execution and goal setting.
- Knowledgeable of RSS hardware I.E., channel, preamp and their applications / integrations and usage in HDD firmware and process.
- Knowledgeable of C/C++ to perform simple FA tasks in channel, arco, ibi firmware. Familiar with Emulator usage for FA.
- Familiarity of head/media is a plus.
- Handles specific design & validations of HDD electronics including NVM, DDR, SoC, Pre-Amp, RAFF and other components
- SoC functional validation includes RSS, Controller, and physical interface
- Facilitate from hardware specification to firmware for new preamp, channel to firmware engineers to code.
- Able to understand specification to optimizations needs from hardware to firmware.
- Contributes to the debug of any cross-functional related systems issues during drive integration (DI)
- Mentor interns and junior engineers.•
- Provide input on hiring decisions of technical team members.
- Develops and prioritizes team goals and workloads to meet project objectives and deadlines.
- Influences team decisions and results.
- Requires low supervision and little guidance. Self-motivated, driven for team goal and corporation target
- General understanding of magnetic theory and operations
- General knowledge of RSS operation, optimization, trade-offs and system requirements
- Understand theory of servo control-loop, mechanical design and principle
- Applies advanced technology principles to multiple tasks.
- Able to operate out-of-box for innovative results
- Recommends and implements solutions.
- Develops methodologies for projects.
- Provide input for team technical strategy for 5-10 year outlook / roadmap
- Follows technical documentation requirements.
- Has broad knowledge of general business operations. Knows basic budgets/costs of program/project and their impact.
- Versed in individual, team and project goals.
- Generally understands the practical implications of one’s work on operations or vice versa (e.g. materials availability, volume manufacturing environment).
- Able to view from customer’s perspective and develops rapport with suppliers and customers alike for maximum efficiency in goal development
- Acts in a responsive and flexible manner to balance customer requests with established priorities.
- Understands impact of individual projects/process on customer’s process and productivity.
- BS + 5 - 8 yrs. related experience, or MS + 3 - 6 yrs. related experience
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL ®
The future. It’s on you. You & Western Digital.
We’ve been storing the world’s data for more than 50 years. Once, it was the most important thing we could do for data. Now we’re helping the world capture, preserve, access and transform data in a way only we can.
The most game-changing companies, consumers, professionals, and governments come to us for the technologies and solutions they need to capture, preserve, access, and transform their data.
But we can’t do it alone. Today’s exceptional data challenges require your exceptional skills. It’s You & Us. Together, we’re the next big thing in data.
Western Digital® data-centric solutions are found under the G-Technology™, SanDisk®, Upthere™, and WD® brands.
Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer.
Western Digital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" poster .
Western Digital participates in the E-Verify program in the US. For more information click here . Este empleador participa in E-Verify .
Western Digital is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and employees and will not discriminate based on their race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster.
Western Digital thrives on the power and potential of diversity. As a global company, we believe the most effective way to embrace the diversity of our customers and communities is to mirror it from within. We believe the fusion of various perspectives results in the best outcomes for our employees, our company, our customers, and the world around us. We are committed to an inclusive environment where every individual can thrive through a sense of belonging, respect and contribution.
Western Digital is committed to offering opportunities to applicants with disabilities and ensuring all candidates can successfully navigate our careers website and our hiring process. Please contact us at [email protected] to advise us of your accommodation request. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.