- Herengracht 469, 1017 BS Amsterdam, Netherlands
We are on a mission to be the easiest and most reliable way to arrange home services, connecting homeowners with qualified service professionals. We operate the market-leading brands in France (Travaux.com) and The Netherlands (Werkspot.nl), and the challenger in Italy (Instapro.it). Our product, technology & UX department consists of approximately 100 talented professionals, deeply passionate about creating great digital marketplaces.
Travaux, Werkspot and Instapro are part of IAC / ANGI Home Services.
Purpose of Data Science at Travaux, Werkspot and Instapro
The purpose of Data Science (DS) in our organisation is to add value to our business by leveraging DS models and practices to understand the patterns behind data (numbers, text, pictures, video, etc.) and by using those patterns to make predictions.
DS not only supports or enhances product features but enables new features to be discovered by gaining insights from data and to be created by our engineering teams. In this way we maximise our competitive advantage over other organisations in this industry. We are successful when DS is an integral part of our core flows and is benefiting our customers and the company. These benefits come through different methods: prediction, inference, information retrieval, unsupervised methods, outlier detection (e.g. fraud detection), analytics, optimization and visualization.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who connects to the above purpose and is motivated to help build further on this together. You will join a multidisciplinary team (currently with a Product Manager, a Data Engineer and a Data Scientist) who are at this time focused on helping the service professionals (SPs) to significantly decrease their effort in finding relevant jobs on the platform. Additionally, SP-churn will soon be in focus, ensuring that we can better predict whether our users will soon become inactive. This will allow us to learn more and take necessary action to ensure that the platform is effectively meeting their needs and guaranteeing their satisfaction. You will play a large part in working with these models and future valuable initiatives.
What you’ll be doing
- translate user and business needs into valuable solutions
- bring critical thinking to discussions and decisions
- be aware of industry best practices and leverage this knowledge
- write code with reliability and maintainability in mind
- manage expectations about your own work
- communicate escalations/impediments quickly to the relevant persons
- help other scientists and engineers grow by learning, coaching, mentoring, and teaching
Who you are
- Open-minded, curious and embraces diversity
- A reliable, communicative and collaborative team player
- Excellent communication skills (in English)
- Proven track record of taking machine learning projects from concept to production
- Worked on building & extending web-based recommendation systems
- Have 3+ years experience in a Data Science role
- Can perform statistical analysis
- Advanced Python skills (including clean and well-tested implementations)
- Advanced SQL skills
- Keep customer satisfaction and profitability in mind
What we offer
- A great working environment in the center of Amsterdam (once we go back)
- A competitive salary
- Personal growth budget and time for attending training courses and conferences
- Relocation budget if coming from abroad (once it is safe/possible)
- 25 days of annual leave
- Pension arrangement
- Free lunch, fruit and coffee
- Free fitness in our building
- Frequent and fun events with the entire company to celebrate achievements and milestones
How we are organized:
Our Product, Technology and UX department currently consists of 4 tracks and approximately 100 professionals, from all over the world: Brasil, Canada, India, France, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, The Netherlands, South Africa, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Turkey, the UK, and the USA. Each track focuses on the most valuable opportunity within their given scope. Within the tracks, multidisciplinary product development teams collaborate on achieving the goals that they set and commit to each quarter. We approach our decisions in an experiment-guided and Agile way: we validate new directions using a variety of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Our shared values:
We believe our success starts with sharing the same values when it comes to how we work. These values are the foundation of everything we do, and you’ll experience them on a daily basis. Our values are: Be stronger together; Aim high; Take ownership; Be transparent and respectful; Be open-minded and curious; Embrace diversity; Focus on our customers. The company culture in our organisation is very open and inclusive; we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Special note related to COVID-19
We will be onboarding remotely. Until the government (RIVM) is no longer advising us to work from home, we will be working remotely. We will do our best to make the onboarding as smooth as possible and help you get up-to-speed.
Is this for you?
Send your resume with a brief explanation of why you are highly motivated by this role. You are welcome to provide us with a link to some code you’ve written and/or project which showcases your work.
You can apply via the “Apply” button or by sending your information to Sacha de Rosner, Technology Lead at Werkspot, Travaux and Instapro. We’re looking forward to meeting you!