Lead 3D Environment Artist
- 28738 The Old Rd, Valencia, CA 91355, USA
WayForward has been developing video games in Southern California for over 30 years. In that time, we have launched hundreds of games with partners such as Activision, Apple, Capcom, Disney, Konami, Sega, WB, Universal, and many more! Our games are known for their classic, satisfying gameplay, beautiful art and animation, and compelling characters, story, and worlds. They have routinely received top scores on Metacritic and a multitude of awards and nominations from media outlets such as IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid, and Polygon. Notable titles include: The Shantae series, Mighty Switch Force, A Boy and His Blob, DuckTales: Remastered, Aliens: Infestation, Contra 4, and games based on popular brands including Adventure Time, Batman, Silent Hill, Double Dragon, and Marvel.
Wayforward is seeking a Lead 3D Environment Artist to join our team on a full time basis. The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of environment asset creation, and understands all phases of environment art creation, from block-out through final lighting. They will have great communication skills and work well with other team members across multiple disciplines.
A high level of environment art experience, and some level of leadership experience is a must for this position.
- Lead by example - Create high quality level art assets that push the capabilities of the target platform.
- Scheduling - Must be able to put together a strategy, and a schedule for all environment artists on the team that takes into account the scheduling goals of the over-all project, and then successfully execute on that schedule.
- Mentorship - Guide and teach junior and mid-level environment artists.
- Technical guidance - Formulate plans to maximize the visual fidelity of the environment art on a project within the framework of the game engine, and target platforms.
- Maintain the established art direction - All assets from all artists on the team must adhere to the art direction for the project that has been set by the Project Art Director.
- A portfolio demonstrating high quality game art
- At least 5 years of experience in the game industry
- At least 1 year of experience in a lead art role
- High level of understanding of environment art construction and pipelines
- Able to produce AAA quality environment art assets, and teach others to do the same
- Strong texture painting skills
- Strong Lighting skills
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process
- Expert knowledge of ZBrush, 3DSMax, and Photoshop
- Proficient in Substance Painter or 3DCoat
- Expert knowledge in creation of PBR materials
- Experience with Unity3D, and Unreal game engines (preferably with shipped games in both)
- Good communication skills
- Ability to give, and receive, positive and constructive feedback
- Good problem solving skills
- Passion for making games
- Ability to work onsite in our office in Valencia, CA
Due to the situation with COVID-19 Wayforward is currently working remotely. Applicants that are located close enough to work onsite at our Valencia office is preferred, but we are also open to considering applicants that would need to work remotely indefinitely.