Engineer-Transmission & Substation
- 6702 Intech Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46278, USA
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, Wabash Valley Power is a not-for-profit electric cooperative and wholesale provider of reliable, affordable electricity to our 23 electric distribution member cooperatives. These cooperatives in turn serve more than 300,000 homes, businesses, and farms in Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri.
As a not-for-profit co-op, we do things a bit differently—and that’s the point. Because we aren’t influenced by shareholders, we make our decisions with our members in mind. That means we value things like teamwork, and putting families first. It also means a business model that’s designed for stability and growth. It’s a Deliberately Different approach to the energy industry, and that’s great news for the people who count on us.
What You'll Get
We believe what benefits our employees benefits our company. That’s why we put employees first—your health, your family, and your development. These aren’t just slogans: We offer continuing education, flex time, health benefits, a 401(k) match and pension plan, and much more. Here are just a few of the things that make our company culture unique:
• No Sweat - We offer a wellness program that includes a payroll credit for medical insurance, an on-site fitness center for your convenience and extra vacation days for participating. We’ll even throw in a fitness device reimbursement to keep you on track!
• Flex Time - Our flexible schedule means you can work in your appointments or family events and maintain a comfortable work-life balance.
• Stay in School - We value employees who have a desire to learn, so we provide funds for continuing education. We also offer in-house training and ongoing development through our internal GROW program.
• Keep it Casual - When you work for us, you work in comfort. Blue jeans are the norm in our office and we make them look good!
• Work Hard, Play Hard - We reward our employees with generous vacation time, to the tune of up to five weeks off a year. Even our new employees receive credit for prior work experience.
What You'll Do
We are seeking applicants for an Engineer in the Transmission & Substation Engineering department. This person will be part of a team to provide Transmission & Distribution facilities with engineering services required by Wabash Valley Power and its Member Systems. The hiring manager will determine the Engineer level based upon applicant’s experience.
You will be responsible for various design aspects of Transmission and Substation facilities required by Wabash Valley Power and its Member Systems. Under varying levels of supervision you will also:
· Route, design and/or supervise the design of transmission line facilities including the preparation of specifications, environmental permits/reports, and bidding and material procurement. Transmission line voltages will include, but not be limited to: 34.5KV, 46KV, 69KV, 138KV, 230KV, and 345KV.
· Provide engineering services for the Member Systems on various distribution line matters, which may include 12KV design, sag/tension calculations, easement procurement, joint use pole issues, etc.
· Provide support to the transmission consultants on matters involving delivery point requirements and the associated transmission and/or substation facilities as directed by the Manager of Transmission and Substation Engineering.
· Providing engineering review and assistance for Wabash Valley's Transmission & Distribution agreements with current power suppliers, as well as any future agreements in this regard.
· Design and/or supervise the design of substation design, coordination studies, AutoCAD services, specifications and compliance, equipment specification and purchase, cost estimating, budget preparation, permitting, public hearings, relay and control design.
· Prepare designs of Transmission & Distribution substations including preparing specifications and preparing bid documents.
· Prepare station one-line diagrams, three line diagrams, DC schematics and wiring drawings for new and upgrade substation projects.
· Prepare station physical arrangement drawings, including conduit plans and grounding plans for new and upgrade substation projects. May assist with preparation of new departmental standards and specifications.
You love to exceed expectations, apply systems thinking to generate solutions and promptly respond to members' requests. You love working with people both colleagues and members in a member-focused cooperative environment. You take a diagnostic approach to understanding the needs of the situation and are results-oriented, self-motivated, and have a high level of initiative.
· Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering or similar field from an ABET accredited institution required.
· 3+ years of progressive experience in Transmission Line and/or Substations design required
· Prior electric utility experience preferred.
· PE license preferred.
· Successful completion of FE exam preferred.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.