Senior Substation Engineer
- 6702 Intech Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46278, USA
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, Wabash Valley Power is a not-for-profit electric cooperative and wholesale provider of reliable, affordable electricity to our 23 electric distribution member cooperatives. These cooperatives in turn serve more than 300,000 homes, businesses, and farms in Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri.
As a not-for-profit co-op, we do things a bit differently—and that’s the point. Because we aren’t influenced by shareholders, we make our decisions with our members in mind. That means we value things like teamwork, and putting families first. It also means a business model that’s designed for stability and growth. It’s a Deliberately Different approach to the energy industry, and that’s great news for the people who count on us.
What You'll Get
We believe what benefits our employees benefits our company. That’s why we put employees first—your health, your family, and your development. These aren’t just slogans: We offer continuing education, flex time, health benefits, a 401(k) match and pension plan, and much more. Here are just a few of the things that make our company culture unique:
• No Sweat - We offer a wellness program that includes a payroll credit for medical insurance, an on-site fitness center for your convenience and extra vacation days for participating. We’ll even throw in a fitness device reimbursement to keep you on track!
• Flex Time - Our flexible schedule means you can work in your appointments or family events and maintain a comfortable work-life balance.
• Stay in School - We value employees who have a desire to learn, so we provide funds for continuing education. We also offer in-house training and ongoing development through our internal GROW program.
• Keep it Casual - When you work for us, you work in comfort. Blue jeans are the norm in our office and we make them look good!
• Work Hard, Play Hard - We reward our employees with generous vacation time, to the tune of up to five weeks off a year. Even our new employees receive credit for prior work experience.
What You'll Do
The Senior Substation Engineer will be responsible for design, procurement, oversight and review of project engineering work in support of the development and implementation of WVPA’s substation projects within the Transmission & Substation Engineering group. This position will appeal to individuals who are Professional Electrical Engineers (or eligible for registration or demonstrate compatible level of competency through past work experience) and have direct experience in the electric utility industry. Ideal candidate should have experience in the areas of substation design from the 25kV to 345kV levels, as well as an understanding of all disciplines of substations (i.e., Protection & Control, SCADA, and Telecommunications). The Senior Substation Engineer will be responsible for completion of designs as well as leading outside design firms on a wide range of projects including capital upgrade & replacement projects. The Senior Substation Engineer reports to Manager, Transmission & Substation Engineering within the Engineering & Operations department.
- Creating engineering designs and work scope for substation projects including steel structures, foundations, clearances, layout drawings, grounding, oil containment, lightning protection, schematics, and wiring diagrams.
- Managing equipment orders for Substation projects from the initial request for equipment through delivery (technical details, bid evaluation, schedule, drawing review, design review, action items testing, and delivery).
- Supporting communication across business units, IOUs and member coops regarding project needs. Convening internal project schedule compliance review meetings with necessary parties to assure deliverables support project schedule and are within the project budget.
- Working with outside engineering firms, vendors, equipment manufacturers and consultants.
- Review the designs underway by external Engineers to ensure compliance within scope and with standards.
- Coordinate with the WVPA Operations and Field Engineering as well as IOUs and members to schedule and monitor operations related project activities.
- Analyzing engineering issues, structures, equipment, etc., and recommending appropriate solutions and alternate design options.
- Provide technical support during construction and commissioning.
- Ensure accuracy of as-built documentation at project turnover and close-out.
You love to exceed expectations, apply systems thinking to generate solutions and promptly respond to members' requests. You love working with people both colleagues and members in a member-focused cooperative environment. You take a diagnostic approach to understanding the needs of the situation and are results-oriented, self-motivated, and have a high level of initiative.
- BSEE (BS in Electrical Engineering) or BSEET (BS in Electrical Engineering Technology) degree, from an accredited university preferably with a power option.
- Professional Engineering license (PE) preferred.
- Eight (8) or more years of experience in 15kV through 345kV substation design and IEEE/ANSI standards is preferred.
- Experience in managing 3 or more people on a project team.
- Experience filling the role of project engineer for several projects occurring concurrently.
- The candidate must have strong command of the English language with good written and oral communication skills in order to work effectively with internal team members and external client personnel.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently in the U.S. without the need for work sponsorship.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.