Manager, Transmission & Substation Engineering
- 6702 Intech Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46278, USA
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, Wabash Valley Power is a not-for-profit electric cooperative and wholesale provider of reliable, affordable electricity to our 23 electric distribution member cooperatives. These cooperatives in turn serve more than 300,000 homes, businesses, and farms in Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri.
As a not-for-profit co-op, we do things a bit differently—and that’s the point. Because we aren’t influenced by shareholders, we make our decisions with our members in mind. That means we value things like teamwork, and putting families first. It also means a business model that’s designed for stability and growth. It’s a Deliberately Different approach to the energy industry, and that’s great news for the people who count on us.
What You'll Get
We believe what benefits our employees benefits our company. That’s why we put employees first—your health, your family, and your development. These aren’t just slogans: We offer continuing education, flex time, health benefits, a 401(k) match and pension plan, and much more. Here are just a few of the things that make our company culture unique:
• No Sweat - We offer a wellness program that includes a payroll credit for medical insurance, an on-site fitness center for your convenience and extra vacation days for participating. We’ll even throw in a fitness device reimbursement to keep you on track!
• Flex Time - Our flexible schedule means you can work in your appointments or family events and maintain a comfortable work-life balance.
• Stay in School - We value employees who have a desire to learn, so we provide funds for continuing education. We also offer in-house training and ongoing development through our internal GROW program.
• Keep it Casual - When you work for us, you work in comfort. Blue jeans are the norm in our office and we make them look good!
• Work Hard, Play Hard - We reward our employees with generous vacation time, to the tune of up to five weeks off a year. Even our new employees receive credit for prior work experience.
What You'll Do
The Manager of Transmission & Substation Engineering will be responsible for leading WVPA’s Transmission & Substation Engineering group to ensure the delivery of high quality, cost effective, and timely transmission and substation engineering services. This position will appeal to individuals who are Professional Engineers (or eligible for registration or demonstrate compatible level of competency through past work experience) and have direct experience in the electric utility industry. Ideal candidate should have leadership experience in the areas of transmission and substation design from the 25kV to 345kV levels, as well as an understanding of all disciplines of substations (i.e., Protection & Control, SCADA, and Telecommunications). The Manager of Transmission & Substation Engineering will be responsible for the development and upkeep of WVPA transmission and substation engineering guide documents and standards; assigning staff to projects based on competency requirements and availability; perform group resource leveling to accommodate changes in project workload and meet project deliverable schedules. This position will also be responsible for ensuring groups conform to quality management and project delivery policies, processes, and procedures. The Manager of Transmission & Substation Engineering reports to the Executive Vice President of Engineering & Operations.
- Assigns staff to projects based on competency requirements and availability; performs group resource leveling to accommodate changes in project workload and meet project deliverable schedules.
- Assures groups conformance to engineering standards, quality management and project delivery policies, processes, and procedures.
- Leads or participates in discipline design review on large/complex projects.
- Implements performance management policies and best practices to improve employee performance, engagement, and contributions to support the needs of WVPA and its Members.
- Identifies future staffing needs and assists with recruiting.
- Identifies and implements continual improvement initiatives to achieve Company and Department objectives.
- Interact regularly with Members, which includes maintaining current relationships and developing new relationships.
You love to exceed expectations, apply systems thinking to generate solutions and promptly respond to members' requests. You love working with people both colleagues and members in a member-focused cooperative environment. You take a diagnostic approach to understanding the needs of the situation and are results-oriented, self-motivated, and have a high level of initiative.
- BSEE (BS in Electrical Engineering) or BSEET (BS in Electrical Engineering Technology) degree, from an accredited university preferably with a power option.
- Professional Engineering license (PE) highly desirable.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) desirable.
- Fifteen (15) or more years’ experience in 15kV through 345kV transmission and substation design and IEEE/ANSI standards is preferred.
- Experience in managing engineering staff and project teams.
- The candidate must have strong command of the English language with good written and oral communication skills in order to work effectively with internal team members and external client personnel.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently in the U.S. without the need for work sponsorship.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.