System Engineer Electrical Propulsion (m/f/d)
- Site: Bruchsal HQ
- Department: Engineering & Production
We at Volocopter are pioneers in the development of electrical air taxis that take off and land vertically (eVTOLs). We bring Urban Air Mobility to life, by establishing air taxis in addition to current transportation options in megacities globally. Our aim is to offer affordable on-demand air taxi services and save people time by flying them safely to their destination. In 2011 we performed the first-ever piloted flight of a purely electrical multicopter and have since showcased numerous public flights with our full-scale Volocopter (www.volocopter.com).
Your mission during this flight
Your main task will be to develop motor system requirements using our requirements management system. Based on calculations, simulations and concepts developed by you in cooperation with other teams responsible for aircraft design, you will ensure the motor fulfils its requirements and required mission profiles and uses cases. Additionally, you will consider requirements from certification program, best practices, norms, and standards.
Another very important focus is to ensure the motor requirements are validated and traceable, using aerospace system engineering standards. You define validation methods and ensure the design meets the requirements by close interaction with the verification & test team. You will also contribute to the certification by ensuring the full system engineering lifecycle is followed and all deliverables required for a highly safety critical system are available and correct.
As a main technical contact to suppliers, you ensure questions and any uncertainties of the requirements are resolved, and steady progress is made in the design of motor, inverter, and complete system. You will also review supplier deliverables for technical consistency and adherence to aerospace and certification requirements.
With the real hard- and software available eventually, you take responsibility and ownership to ensure the motor fulfils its purpose and lifts VoloCity into the air. This includes troubleshooting, requirements and design changes and documentation.
Check in your professional skills:
- M.Sc., Ph.D., or equivalent degree in electrical engineering, with electric motor design and/or power electronics specialization
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in electric drivetrain systems development
- Good knowledge about systems- and requirements engineering with requirements management tools like Integrity or DOORS
- Track record of electrical component development over significant parts of the lifecycle, ideally for Aerospace
- Knowledge of Aerospace standards beneficial: DO-160, DO-178, DO-254, ARP4754A
- Knowledge of system simulation and calculations, electric & thermal domains
- A structured way of working, high sense of reliability and accountability
- Proven track record of supplier management in complex developments
- Excellent written and spoken English skills (German is a plus)
Our Volocopter flight includes:
- Fast-growing high tech company with a supreme network of investors and partners
- Ability to contribute directly to the future of aviation
- The chance to build up new things/projects from scratch
- Personal accountability, growth and learning opportunities, based on your personal strengths
- An inspiring working environment with modern workspaces, flexible work time, short lines of communication, flat structures, great team spirit
- Attractive salary package
Our differences make us stronger. At Volocopter, we value equal opportunity, trust, and the voice of each of our employees. As change-makers in air mobility, we believe that changing the world starts within each of our teams. We are committed to driving innovation by celebrating diversity and fostering an inclusive culture where everyone is treated equally and respectfully, regardless of our different backgrounds and roles in the company.
Fasten your seat belt and take-off with an awesome team as we bring urban air mobility to life!