Internship in Flight Mechanics Trimming of non-conventional eVTOL (m/f/d)
- Friedrichshafener Str. 3, 82205 Gilching, Germany
- Job Location: Munich
We at Volocopter are pioneers in the development of electrical air taxis that take off and land vertically (eVTOLs). We bring Urban Air Mobility to life, by establishing air taxis in addition to current transportation options in megacities globally. Our aim is to offer affordable on-demand air taxi services and save people time by flying them safely to their destination. In 2011 we performed the first-ever piloted flight of a purely electrical multicopter and have since showcased numerous public flights with our full-scale Volocopter (www.volocopter.com).
Within a highly motivated, multi-disciplinary core team, you are in charge of managing the development and prototyping of Volocopter’s next generation aircraft. Reporting to our Aeromechanic Engineer. You are a key member of the development team located in Munich.
In the Volo Next Generation Team, the student will work under the direct supervision of the Aeromechanic Engineer working on the recent advancement in the VTOL configurations. In this regard, the project and the work of the student will focus on studying the flight mechanics trim and the corresponding performance of the aircraft. The expected outcome of the study includes the optimized flight envelope description and documentation of the corresponding performance. The following numerical simulation will be performed by you:
- Setup flight condition scenarios and setup potential design solutions
- Model isolated aerodynamically fixed and moving surfaces using Blade Element method (BEM)
- Establish a suitable flight envelope and research its performance for optimization
- Research the aerodynamic interactions including modification of the components thereof
- Evaluate rotor slipstream using vortex lattice methods (VLM) - optionally
- Implement the above strategy and improve the flight physics
- Develop and prepare the aerodynamic interaction validation strategies (e.g. Wind Tunnel, flight tests,)
- Adapt the object-oriented programming (OOP) strategy and write the scripts in parametric form
- Extend the model to operate on multiple rotor/aerodynamic surfaces simultaneously
- Assist in providing all relevant information needed for the design of the flight control system
Available from November/December for 6 months
Master or Bachelor student in the field aerodynamic/aerospace/turbomachines
Strong computer programming experience
Experience in Panel, Vortex Lattice Method and Blade Element Method
Python / MATLAB (OOPs Format)
Able to work independently and with self-initiatve
Hand-on attitude, Drone piloting experience (is an asset)
- Volocopter offers a fast-growing high-tech working environment with a supreme network of investors and partners.
- Working at Volocopter, you will have personal accountability, be able to grow, and have unique learning opportunities, based on your personal strengths.
- Our offices offer an inspiring working environment with modern workspaces, comfortable networking areas, and free meals and drinks.
- Volocopter offers flexible working time, short lines of communication, flat structures, and a great team spirit. Moreover, we offer an attractive salary package.
- To build our excellent team we welcome all qualified people regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age. Our international team will be happy to give you welcome and help you with your relocation where applicable.
Our differences make us stronger. At Volocopter, we stand for inclusion for all. We believe that diversity drives innovation and in building a culture where difference is valued. Come and join us on our journey!