We are the world’s largest independent energy and commodities trading company. Every day we use our expertise and logistical networks to distribute energy around the world, efficiently and responsibly. From 40 offices worldwide, we seek to add value across the energy supply chain, including deploying our scale and market understanding to help facilitate the energy transition. To date, we have committed over $1 billion of capital to renewable projects, and are identifying and developing low-carbon opportunities around the world.
Our people are our business. Talent is precious to us and we create an environment in which individuals can reach their full potential, unhindered by hierarchy. Our team comprises more than 65 nationalities and we are committed to developing and sustaining a diverse work force. Learn more about us here.
This position is accountable for trading and scheduling energy across geographically diverse markets with multiple counterparties and ISOs throughout East, Central, and Western Americas. Real-Time Desk is expected to optimize positions, assets, and long-term strategies while mitigating contingencies and ensuring compliance. The Real-Time Desk is dedicated to assist in developing, executing, and optimizing processes related to physical activities for internal stakeholders.
The responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate and provide support to all internal stakeholders who are closely engaged with physical activities;
- Assure routine deliverables to all internal stakeholders are complete accurately and on-time;
- Executing physical trades and developing trading strategies in compliance with Vitol’s trade policies while analyzing market conditions to generate value;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal stakeholders, traders, schedulers and external counterparties;
- Be part of an on-call rotational team to ensure coverage for evenings and weekends;
- Follow energy regulatory frameworks and assess the impact of potential changes on existing activities and new leads.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Engineering, or equivalent relevant experience;
- Understanding of power market structures, rules and ancillary services;
- Working knowledge of East and/or West energy markets;
- Strong knowledge of 1 or more niche commodity markets with a particular focus on physical trading, logistics and arbitrage opportunities;
- Working knowledge of scheduling Hydro, Wind, Solar and Storage assets in the power markets including the various products (Energy, Regulation, Reserves, Capacity);
- A positive and energetic team player attitude with a willingness to work independently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment while sharing experiences and knowledge with others;
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet tight deadlines and manage changing priorities in an ever changing, fast moving, high pressure environment;
- Ability to make decisions quickly and mitigate risks while ensuring compliance with prescribed parameters.
- Excellent analytical thinking, data analysis, strong excel and problem resolution skills with strong attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of standard power industry tools (OATI) and ISO scheduling systems;
- Knowledge of English is essential; working knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be considered an asset.
Vitol provides a highly-competitive remuneration plan and an excellent working environment in a growing multinational firm focused on creating a more sustainable global economy. For more information about our company, please visit https://www.vitol.com/careers/
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only selected candidates will be contacted.
Vitol’s workforce comprises approximately 1,600 people at the end of 2022. Our success relies on our ability to attract, develop and retain the best talent, at every level. We have a highly capable, entrepreneurial and engaged workforce that brings a diverse range of experience and perspectives to the organisation.
Our team comprises over 60 nationalities and we are committed to developing and sustaining a diverse work environment. To succeed we need the best people and these are to be found only by searching across the full breadth of race, religion, gender, age and sexual orientation.