Sr. SW Engineer (Payments, Mainframe Application) - Manual Testing, Automation
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
What do we do? The Payment Products Development (PPD) – Authorization Services (VIP) Test Engineering (TE) team supports the VisaNet Integrated Payment (VIP) System by delivering quality services and solutions using best-in-class processes, methodologies, and technology with our worldwide workforce. We are an integral part of Visa that support the worldwide Business Releases, quarterly, monthly and weekly projects, maintenance work, as well as multiyear infrastructure projects that introduce new programming logic via IBM High Level Assembler (HLASM) and Object Oriented code (C++) onto an IBM mainframe application that runs on zTPF (Transaction Processing Facility). We also support and work with other peer Test Engineering organizations to support integration, downstream and end-to-end testing to ensure no defects adversely affect the VIP production systems.
VIP TE is committed to leveraging innovative technology solutions to enhance software quality and accelerate the time-to-market of different product platforms. We test approximately 1000+ changes to our systems in any given year while collaboratively maintaining a better than 99.7 percent fail safe percentage to an authorization system that supports over 65,000 transactions per second (billions of messages a year).
Who are we looking for? You! We are looking for a candidate who is highly proficient in Manual Testing and has also been involved in Test Automation (aka Test Tools Development and / or Maintenance) initiatives. You will be part of a talented Test Engineering (TE) Team that works on mission-critical payment applications and be responsible for testing the code manually while also designing, developing, or enhancing test tools and utilizing the same to test the application.
As a manual test engineer, you will be involved in value-based exploratory testing in addition to regular systematic functional and regression testing, risk identification, and production deployment/support. In order to retain the quick time-to-market of different product platforms, you should be able to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment balancing aggressive development schedules with the need for quality software. You should be able to provide innovative approaches to coordinate multi-region testing allowing more condensed testing schedules will be within daily activities. The ideal candidate should be capable of working in all phases of SDLC (i.e. development and testing) and have a demonstrated history of thinking creatively, with a solution oriented, can-do, mindset and must demonstrate a strong desire to create and sustain an enterprise-wide environment that fosters ownership, accountability, quality, commitment and innovation.
Besides manual testing, you have the desire and willingness to be involved in designing and develop highly capable, bug-free tools, test automation frameworks and solutions by following secure SDLC standards and industry standard best practices. You can come up with new ideas, gather and elaborate requirements, contribute to solution selection, be responsible for the design, configuration, development and testing of the solution, finally ensuring highest quality documentation for each solution developed. The successful candidate should be a quick learner, be responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions.
In your role as a Senior Software Engineer (Sr. SW Engineer), you will be required to quickly learn the technicalities and associated business aspects to be able to work independently with minimal guidance. You will be responsible for creating top quality Test Plans / Test Designs / Test Matrix / Test Scenarios / Test Cases etc. to ensure we add value and deliver the highest-quality services and products to our clients. At the same time, you will actively seek out opportunities to design, develop and implement world-class products (aka test tools and frameworks) which can be used to the improve operational efficiency of the VIP Test Engineering Team.
The candidate should also have strong analytical and problem solving skills, good time management skills, must be able to collaborate and communicate effectively with team members, and undertake initiatives. All in all, the selected candidate will be a motivated personality who is able to proactively identify ways to add value to the team, even when those may not be spelled out, you are flexible and willing to switch tasks based on team's needs. No matter the challenge, you know you can find a solution and encourage others to think the same. You recognize when to ask for help and when to collaborate with others and work across departments. You are team-oriented having strong work ethics with an innate desire to take up ownership and drive initiatives. You are a team player, making sure that everyone in the team feels valued and is excited to work with you.
Why us? Working at Visa is challenging. The problems that we face and solve and the decisions that we make affect the world. Visa is all about helping people around the world reach their ‘everywhere’ – the place where their personal, professional and financial goals intersect. If you have the ambition, focus and drive, and are interested in joining a global team focused on changing the way the world pays and is paid, you'll find your ‘everywhere’ at Visa.
The Senior Software Engineer (Sr. SW Engineer) position will be an individual contributor role based out of Bangalore and will report to Visa's PPD – Authorization Services (VIP) Test Engineering Management at Bangalore.
Roles And Responsibilities:
1) As A Manual Test Engineer (Nearly 60% - 70% of the work time):
- Design and develop comprehensive test plans and test cases from business requirements and conceptual documents for the application changes and efficiently execute the same across all functional areas, products and solutions.
- Test code manually as well as utilize test automation suites to enable the team to be more efficient and effective. Analyze and report test results to Development and Product teams.
- Collaborate and work with Development, System Architecture and Product teams to analyze, debug and resolve design or code issues. Be a vocal proponent for quality in every phase of the SDLC.
- Report project status, highlight risks and issues to Project Managers and Management and also provide solutions and options.
- Implement standard processes, tools, and metrics to deliver large-scale projects from inception to conclusion that meet quantifiable business objectives.
- Maintain appropriate vendor, partner relationships and internal service level agreements to facilitate daily workflow.
- Coordinate and support integration, end-to-end testing with peer Test Engineering groups to ensure seamless code releases.
- Maintain test environments and contribute to other VIP Test Engineering daily activities.
2) As A Test Automation Engineer (Nearly 30% - 40% of the work time):
- Contribute to all phases of the SDLC including requirements gathering, creating design documents, coding and unit testing, technical documentation till production implementation. The product developed should be of the highest quality meeting all requirements within the scheduled timeframe.
- Comprehensive knowledge of programming and strong ability to code using legacy languages (such as REXX) and open systems technologies (such as C#/.NET, JAVA etc.). Ideate and use innovative approaches to accommodate tight schedules and resource constraints by building and implementing scalable, reusable test automation frameworks.
- Marshall industry standard coding, design patterns and best practices within Visa. Suggest and cultivate ideas on the extension of the current test tools and frameworks to new products and services.
- Coordinate and collaborate with VIP Test Engineering (VIP TE) stakeholders, technical leads and staff members across geographies to define requirements / modifications for use in designing appropriate test tools, frameworks and solutions. Evaluate options and provide recommendation on scope and scale of effort required to develop such solutions.
Proactively assess emerging technologies and evaluate the adoption thereof into the organization. Conduct POCs for technology and tools evaluation to ensure they are good fit for Visa’s requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science / Electronics (or equivalent technical degree) is required. Master’s degree in Engineering is a plus.
- 4-8 years of relevant work experience or an equivalent mix of work and project experience in manual testing and test automation (aka test tools development / maintenance), preferably in the Electronic Payments domain.
- In-depth understanding of SDLC and STLC, development and test engineering processes and methodologies.
- Knowledge of ISO 8583, ISO 20022, SOAP / XML, JSON etc. messages will be required.
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs, SOAP UI, hands-on experience on Tokenization, Push Payments, Chip, EMV etc. will be an added advantage.
- Preferably 3+ years’ of experience in –
- zTPF (Mainframe), VM/CMS, VM/VPARS etc.
- IBM S/390 Assembler/HLASM, C/C++, IBM TPF Toolkit and associated debugger, DB2, etc.
- Should be proficient using various tools such as Jira, SharePoint, Wiki and Jenkins etc.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have good programming skills in any programming language (such as C++ / C# / JAVA etc.) and can work on Test Automation besides Manual Testing.
- Knowledge of VM/REXX Programming (including PIPE programming), VB Scripting and SQL/Databases (must have ability to write and execute SQL queries to validate data) will be a huge plus.
- Candidates having practical knowledge of source code management products (version control repository) such as GitHub, TFS etc., CI/CD tools such as Jenkins etc. will be preferred.
- Should have good problem solving, analytical and technical troubleshooting skills. Be able to thrive in a self-motivated internal-innovation driven environment.
- Ability to be flexible and work well with a globally distributed team in a high performance organization. Proven willingness and desire to learn new skills and take on new tasks and initiatives.
- Ability to work independently with limited direction, in a complex environment, to drive delivery of solutions and meet service levels. Should be process oriented and possess good planning and self-organizational skills.
- With active engagement, collaboration, effective communication, quality, integrity and reliable delivery, develop and maintain a trusted and valued relationship with the team, management, customers and technology partners.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.