Sr. Project and Program Manager (Technical)
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
The Domestic and Core Processing (DCP) Team in the Payment Product Delivery (PPD) Technology division manages end-to-end delivery of innovative software products to enable new payment flows and value-added services, leveraging Visa’s world-class payment network and security solutions. The Program and Business Management Office (PBMO) is a centralized function within PPD, responsible for program/project initiation, execution, and deployment of quality products in the marketplace. The PBMO is also responsible for governance and reporting, training programs, financial management, risk management, and maintaining an effective system of internal product delivery controls.
This Sr. Project and Program Manager position is responsible for performing all aspects of project and program management, budget management, and management reporting. The position is part of a team driving delivery of projects for a large, highly complex, multi-year program. It requires a person who can quickly come up to speed on the key business and technical concepts to collaborate effectively with business (product), technology, finance, and PMO stakeholders to plan and manage software delivery.
Key responsibilities are to:
Work with business and technology subject matter experts to assess requirements, define scope, create estimates, and produce Project Charters and other documentation needed for funding approvals
Set clear expectations with business partners to provide transparency into project initiation activities, and manage day-to-day interaction during project execution and delivery
Perform project planning and scheduling, manage tasks and coordinate project resources to meet objectives and timelines
Proactively identify, manage, and mitigate project risks and find ways to accomplish project goals in the context of dynamic business/technical environments
Provide high quality customer service and communicate project status (timelines, progress, and challenges) to technology and business stakeholders regularly
Achieve project goals by engaging effectively with stakeholders, including enterprise architects and strategists, technical subject matter experts, business partners, Visa senior management, technology vendors, and financial institutions and strategic partners
Manage project budgets effectively by ensuring forecasts and actual charges are in line with approved bids and project costs are effectively controlled
Ensure that all projects comply with Visa's Project Management Methodology and Key Controls
Keep project status updated in project management tools and maintain meticulous records (e.g., project financials, schedule, issues, risks, change control decisions)
Provide support to PMO management for integrated planning activities, project portfolio reporting and coordination
Lead boldly and utilize hard and soft skills to influence participants of all levels towards the common goal.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
10 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/ MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
• 5 to 8 years of experience managing technology projects
• Strong process orientation and a solid understanding of project management techniques, methodologies, and best practices
• Demonstrated organizational, planning, and analytical skills, including project scheduling, estimating, risk identification, and change management
• Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills, and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions across multiple organizational levels
• Strong leadership qualities and organizational skills as well as the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities, assignments, and roles
• Independent judgment and mature decision-making skills to deal with technology projects that often have enterprise-wide scope and may have significant cost and time-to-market impacts
• Ability to work independently, yet seamlessly integrate activities and collaborate effectively within a program team and across other organizations
• Ability to influence without direct authority to achieve necessary goals
• Solid analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to think strategically
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools (MS Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, SharePoint)
12 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
• Certifications relevant to project, budget, and program management, e.g., PMI certifications, SAFe certifications, Agile certifications, etc.
• Experience creating and using Tableau and Excel to extract and analyze data and experience using PowerPoint to communicate budget and project status, risks, and issues
• Experience working on financial networks, card payments, digital wallets, or e-commerce software development and delivery
• Experience with Jira and Jira Align
• Experience using Agile or Hybrid methodologies
• Experience with Agile transformation
U.S. APPLICANTS ONLY: The estimated salary range for a new hire into this position is 155,400 to 202,000 USD, which may include potential sales incentive payments (if applicable). Salary may vary depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position may be eligible for bonus and equity. Visa has a comprehensive benefits package for which this position may be eligible that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (k), FSA/HSA, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Wellness Program.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.