Data Engineer - Undergrad New College Grad - Multiple Locations - 2023
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
We are looking for new grad Data Engineer to join Visa’s growing team. Visa deals with billions of transactions daily. If you become part of our team, you will impact our clients’ lives by taking part in the designing and building of data processing systems and algorithms that give access to important but raw data.
As the new hire, you will be responsible for creating and optimizing data pipeline architecture, assembling large complex data sets that meet business requirements, and identifying, designing, and implementing process improvements such as automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability. In the context of Visa, you will be part of our team of software developers, data architects, data analysts, and data scientists. You will ensure optimal data flow and collection for these cross-functional teams and maintain data delivery architecture consistent throughout ongoing projects.
As the data engineer, you are self-directed and comfortable supporting the needs of multiple teams, systems, and products through a wide variety of data sources using Big Data and Cloud technologies. You are excited by the prospect of optimizing or re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Design and deploy new applications directly in the Big Data and Cloud platform.
- Identify the best practices for Big Data and Cloud service management & promote these across teams.
- Migrate on-premises corporate applications and related data to the Big Data and the Cloud.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into clients’ critical business performance metrics using Big Data and Cloud service technologies.
- Research, implement and maintain Big Data and Cloud services to support applications.
- Create data tools for business team members that assist them in building and optimizing Visa’s products into innovative industry leaders.
- Monitor data application performance for potential bottlenecks and resolve performance issues.
- Identify and implement cost-saving strategies to reduce ongoing Big Data and Cloud costs/expenses.
- Automate key services and tasks across Big Data and Cloud systems to increase efficiency
- Formulating a recovery plan and executing the plan in the event of data pipeline downtime or failure
- Minimum of 6 months of work experience or a Bachelor's Degree
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, CIS/MIS, Cybersecurity, Business or a related field, graduating January 2022 - August 2023
- Experience with programming languages such as JAVA, Scala, Python
- Basic knowledge of distributed systems, and data structures
- Experience with Big Data and the Cloud platform services: Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark.
- Basic Knowledge in ETL, Data Pipelines using Python, Shell Scripts, Apache Airflow, and Apache Kafka; Building & Populating Data Warehouses, and Querying with BI tools.
- Basic Knowledge in RDBMS fundamentals: Design & Creation of Databases, Schemas, Tables; DB Administration, Security & working with MySQL & IBM Db2.
- Basic Knowledge in SQL query language, database functions, stored procs, working with multiple tables, joins, & transactions.
- Basic Knowledge in NoSQL & Big Data concepts: MongoDB, Cassandra
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Experience with or knowledge of Agile Software Development methodologies
- Strong communications skills, specifically, the absence of repeated grammatical or typographical errors, clear and concise written and spoken communications, and communications that demonstrate professional judgment.
- The ability to take on challenges and address problems head-on
- Strong ability to collaborate
- Highly driven, resourceful and results oriented
- Good team player and excellent interpersonal skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and navigate through ambiguity
Work Authorization: Permanent Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment for this position. Visa will not sponsor applicants for work visas in connection with this position. Future sponsorship will not be considered.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.