Hadoop Capacity Engineer (Relocation Available and Hybrid Position)
- Austin, TX
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
You will be responsible for managing the capacity and performance for our in-house enterprise Hadoop environment. You will work closely with engineering, helping refine and apply best practices for the operation of an enterprise-scale Hadoop cluster including performance tuning of Hadoop clusters and Hadoop MapReduce/Spark routines and management and support of Hadoop services.
- Manage very large-scale, highly available Hadoop infrastructure supporting many-petabytes of data and growing very rapidly
- Create capacity models using historical trends and known future demand that will forecast future infrastructure needs and plan for what-if scenarios such as failover at various levels
- Optimize system components such as CPU/Memory/Disk/Network & OS/Application software to maximize utilization and increase performance
- Develop, maintain, and present capacity plans for dedicated and virtual data platform infrastructure. Plans will serve quarterly purchase needs as well as annual financial planning
- Implement, troubleshoot, and optimize distributed solutions based on modern big data technologies such as Hive, Hadoop, Spark, Elastic Search, Kafka, etc. to solve large scale processing problems
- Use Tableau, Power BI and other data analytics and presentation tools to show visual representations of metrics and relevant data
- Work with Product Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Data Engineering teams to find the optimal way to scale the infrastructure
- Analyze and debug difficult server performance issues (latest in industry), identify bottlenecks and optimize product/service performance to improve user experience
- Act as a 3rd level technical support for Infrastructure related challenges
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
• 5 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or 0 years of work experience with a PhD
• 5+ years of experience in performance engineering or capacity engineering
• 6 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 4 or more years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or up to 3 years of relevant experience with a PhD
• Experience with Big Data Hadoop technologies HDFS, HBase, Elastic Search/Solr, Spark, NIFI, Hive, Kerberos, Druid, Hue, ORC, Kafka
• Industry experience in open systems capacity planning and server administration including a good background in managing and planning servers in both dedicated and virtualized environments
• Strong skills on Linux RHEL, Ubuntu, CentOS, SUSE system administration, deployment, and troubleshooting
• Experience in data visualization tools such as Tableau and Power BI for full-stack data analysis, insight synthesis and presentation
• Strong analytical skills as evidenced by college level mathematics training and on-the-job use of analytical mathematics
• Experience working on public cloud providers – AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
• Hadoop ecosystem programming experience highly desirable, especially Apache Spark, Apache HBase
Visa has a comprehensive benefits package for which this position is eligible that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (k), FSA/HSA, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Wellness Program.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.