Staff Systems Engineer - DevOps / Kafka (Relocation Available and Hybrid Position)
- Austin, TX
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
For Visa to deliver on the vision of the best way to pay and be paid for everyone, everywhere, the Operations & Infrastructure (O&I) group must provide best-in-class infrastructure services that are secure, scalable, continuously available, and run-on software-defined infrastructures. The O&I group offers an exciting opportunity to work on latest technologies where the industry is going through major innovations such as cloud computing.
The Middleware Engineering & Operations provides end-to-end design, build and support services for the Web and Middle-tier platforms, which comes under PaaS (Platform as a Service). Selected candidate would work alongside other Systems engineers, architects, and technical streams, to design, build, and support, streaming and messaging platform built on top of Apache Kafka.
We are looking for an innovative, capable Staff Systems Engineer / DevOps working with internal products automation and implementation teams. You will also be responsible for overseeing end-to-end agile design, scoping, implementation, and working closely with the development and Service design teams to deliver a quality product as required.
Candidate must have hands-on experience working with designing, building & supporting Kafka & dependent technologies, good understanding/knowledge of web/App tier (Tomcat/JAVA/Httpd). Should have an excellent understanding of Operating systems (RHEL) & networking technologies and be comfortable implementing Security, compliance with industry standards, and best practices.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
• 5 or more years of relevant work experience with a bachelor’s degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD
• 6 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 4 or more years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or up to 3 years of relevant experience with a PhD
• Experience with one or more scripting languages, Python, Ruby, Bash.
• Excellent working knowledge on web & App tier technology products not limited to Tomcat, Apache Proxy, Nginx.
• Good working Knowledge on Messaging technology platforms IBMMQ, Kafka and related products.
• Experienced in Kafka cluster design and builds, including Kafka Clusters sizing, Brokers, Zookeepers H/W, Topics partitions based on performance & application needs.
• Experience in Kafka components, Zookeepers, KConnect, schema registry, KSQL, Rest proxy, and Mirror Maker.
• Experience in High availability cluster maintenance and post-implementation L3 support.
• Good understanding of OS (RHEL/Centos), SAN Storage, Networking technology, load balancer SSL/TLS, and Firewall.
• Experience in setting standards to automate deployments using Chef or Jenkins and Opensource monitoring products (Prometheus, Grafana)
• Experience with container technology Kubernetes, Docker, and big data technology (Hadoop echo system) is a plus.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.