Staff Database Engineer - MySQL (Relocation Available and Hybrid Position)
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the plan, build and run activities related to database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to the design/architect, solution engineering, and support will be responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining the running systems, able to perform problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
Primarily the architecture, engineering, deployment and support of MySQL database environment.
Support Database Platform Engineering in the architecture, development and deployment of MySQL Database on LUW in high SLA environments. This includes, but is not limited to, advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain MySQL databases in production and non-production environments.
- Support local/across the DC failover with High Availability Disaster Recovery environment with MySQL native Replication. Participate in Database Maintenance and DR activities.
- Write/maintain OS level scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level3 issues.
- Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA’s and performance targets.
- Adapt business requirements, model data, and develop database specifications, table and element attributes.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both home and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office three days a week, Monday (Sunday in some countries where Sunday is the start of the week) and Wednesdays. Wednesdays are designated as in-office collaboration days. The third day in the office will be decided based on team needs and determined in partnership with senior leadership.
- 5 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree
- Experience DBA experience, managing MySQL databases, Oracle Versions 11g and onwards
- MySQL GoldenGate experience, managing complex replication topology
- 6 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 4 or more years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or up to 3 years of relevant experience with a PhD
- InnoDB Cluster Experience is a plus
- Strong understanding of MySQL database fundamentals, MySQL Native Replication fundamentals and MySQL database security management
- Should have strong UNIX platform skills and understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Proficiency in writing SQL procedures and functions for administration and application support
- Strong knowledge of operating systems, Shell scripting, Perl/Python scripting is a plus
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.