- Foster City, CA
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
Visa is looking for a Trademark Paralegal to support Visa’s Legal Department. The VISA brand has been recognized as one of the most valuable brands in the world. The Trademark Paralegal's primary responsibilities will be to assist in the management of the company's worldwide trademarks and brands. The Trademark Paralegal will work collaboratively with other members of the Trademark team and other stakeholder teams within the company in a volume-intensive legal and business environment.
Conduct preliminary trademark clearance searches using the USPTO website, Saegis, Corsearch, and other searchable databases.
Prepare, file, and prosecute new U.S. trademark applications and assist with the maintenance of U.S. trademark portfolio, including by drafting extension of time filings, declarations of use, Section 8, 9, and 15 filings in the U.S., drafting specification of goods and services and related amendments, gathering evidence of use, and responding to office actions.
Assist with the management of international trademark prosecution and maintenance of international trademark portfolio through extensive correspondence with foreign associates.
Coordinate with Visa’s international offices and correspond directly with regional in-house counsel on trademark matters.
Enforce Visa’s trademark rights against third party infringers, issue cease and desist letters, file opposition actions.
Assist with preparation of legal documents, including by preparing Powers of Attorney and managing legalization.
Docket deadlines into trademark database and file digital communications in paperless filing system.
Receive, manage, and scan physical correspondence in paperless filing system.
Assist with invoicing process.
Design, recommend, and implement new processes and procedures to increase group efficiency.
Special projects, as needed.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
- 2 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- 3 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or more than 2 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD)
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience, excellent academic credentials.
- Paralegal certificate (ABA Approved) strongly preferred but not required.
- At least 5-7 years of trademark paralegal experience, preferably with a top-tier law firm or a high profile, global in-house legal department.
- Proficiency with use of the US PTO’s online filing systems.
- Familiarity with global trademark enforcement and prosecution strategies.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, with a strong ability to review and organize numerous legal documents.
- Trademark Docketing experience using WebTMS or another major IP docket management platform strongly desired.
- Hard working, well-organized and detail oriented.
- Sound legal and business judgment
- Self-starter with ability to work independently with minimal instruction and oversight.
- Strong sense of accountability, taking ownership over projects and responsibilities and proactively resolving issues.
- Must be able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Ability and willingness to take initiative to address problems and make continuous process improvements.
- Foreign language skills are a plus.
- Notary Public or willingness to become a California Notary Public is strongly desired
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dynamic and highly team oriented.
- Sense of humor and commitment to professionalism and collegiality.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.