Design Director, Product Incubation and Development
- ADMIN USE ONLY: Design at Visa
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
New York & San Francisco, USA
The Product incubation and development team operates within the North America Innovation function at Visa. Our team supports North America product to explore, pilot and commercialize groundbreaking commerce solutions across industry verticals. We believe in curiosity, failing fast, applied learning, respectful collaboration, resiliency and fun! Our team takes human centered design as a guiding principle, and we partner closely with our business, strategy, and development partners.
As the Design Director of Product Incubation and Development, you will be responsible for leading the execution of all design outcomes needed for a validation sprint to certify new product capabilities. You will also be responsible for brainstorming, designing, and testing innovative solutions to new product ideas. In doing so, you will apply existing sprint and collaboration frameworks, co-creation tools and asset libraries, as well as contribute ideas for how to improve the tools to uplevel our practice.
A passion for using design to solve problems and seasoned storytelling presentation skills are a must. You will also develop a nuanced understanding of emerging digital payment trends as well as Visa’s capabilities and services in order to effectively chip in ideas and collaborate with our partners.
In addition to project work, you will be encouraged to contribute to the overall design culture and mentor other designers.
- Lead delivery of high-quality design artifacts including, screens to support user flows, working prototypes, customer journey maps, etc.
- Lead all aspects of research and contribute to the creation of research artifacts including, plans, discussion guides and synthesis
- Lead workshopping sessions with cross-functional partners, being the voice of user experience and product design, including facilitation and alignment as required to drive to actionable outcomes
- Understand the payment ecosystem, commerce trends, our Innovation practice, as well as Visa capabilities in order to effectively speak to our clients and partners
- Research emerging areas of opportunity (using quantitative and qualitative techniques) and transform insights into compelling story-telling, experience design, and presentations for stakeholders ensuring each project deliverable is of the highest quality
- Distinguish and advocate for great design and storytelling
- Collaborate with peers at Visa’s other global Innovation Centers to standardize engagement models, share our practice’s approach, and train others on the how and the why behind our work
- Apply design sprint and collaboration frameworks, co-creation tools and asset libraries, as well as incorporating design systems
- Mentor and provide guidance and mentor other designers
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
• 10 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/ MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
• 12 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
• BA/BS in related field required, MS/MFA preferred
• 10 yrs experience in specialization such as user experience, design strategy, marketing activation design, interaction design, or visual and content design with willingness to broaden your own abilities into adjacent specializations while refining proficiency in primary abilities
• Ability to tackle a diverse and complex set of design challenges and recognize patterns to help develop creative, strategic, and scalable solutions for our client experience and engagement model
• Expert in digital design software and tools including Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, AfterEffects, etc
• Expert in creating experience maps, user journeys and service blueprints, interaction models, flows, high fidelity wireframes, and UI / visual design
• Master facilitator with c-suite experience and proven track record running client engagements, demonstrating excellence in presentation polish, executive presence, and client orientation
• Strong written and verbal communication skills (public speaking, storytelling, presentation building skills)
• Experience working with design systems, components, and extensible assets
• Proven history of delivering results on time, within budget, and with high level of execution
• A creative optimist and self-starter who brings energy and passion to the work
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
• Management experience with at least 1 direct report
• Payment industry experience preferred, but not required
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.