1L Legal Intern
- Foster City, CA, USA
Visa is a world leader in digital payments, facilitating more than 215 billion payments transactions between consumers, merchants, financial institutions and government entities across more than 200 countries and territories each year. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, convenient, reliable and secure payments network, enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
When you join Visa, you join a culture of purpose and belonging – where your growth is priority, your identity is embraced, and the work you do matters. We believe that economies that include everyone everywhere, uplift everyone everywhere. Your work will have a direct impact on billions of people around the world – helping unlock financial access to enable the future of money movement.
Join Visa: A Network Working for Everyone.
The Visa 1L Diversity Internship program is designed to enhance the legal careers of first year law students with diverse backgrounds. The program gives qualified candidates the opportunity to enhance their legal education, establish meaningful contacts, improve the quality of their work product through comprehensive feedback, and aspire to a rewarding career in the law.
This position, based in Visa's Foster City (San Francisco Bay Area) headquarters is a summer internship for law students interested in learning more about working in a corporate legal department. Under supervision of department attorneys, the intern will receive a variety of work assignments in multiple practice areas, which may include: litigation, employment, data use & privacy, marketing, trademark, and more. The intern will also learn first-hand about Visa business operations and interact with the Legal Department's business clients.
As a Legal Intern, you will have the chance to:
- Work closely with multiple members of the Visa legal team across a variety of practice areas
- Deliver an end of summer presentation to senior members of the Legal team
- Attend fun social events with fellow interns
- Shadow members of Visa’s Legal Department
- Complete projects in a variety of practice areas under supervision of Visa attorneys
• Good standing as a first-year law student at an ABA accredited law school.
• An interest in the in-house legal environment
• Demonstrated academic excellence and leadership ability, personal and professional accomplishments, commitment to community service or meaningful contribution to the diversity of the legal community
• Excellent written and oral communication and legal research skills
• Strategic thinking and thought leadership
• Proven ability to translate ideas into action
• Teamwork, interpersonal & relationship-building skills
• Attention to detail
• An innovative, creative, entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes change and challenge
• Motivated, focused, driven; embraces a global mindset
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.