Tax Planning & Controversy Manager
- Foster City, CA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
This person will be part of a dynamic team that is primarily responsible for federal and state tax planning and controversy as well as special projects. This person will manage tax audits and be expected to find technically based creative solutions to complex audit issues. Their skill set should include working professionally with auditors and performing planning and audit defense related research and analysis. The ideal candidate should have, in addition to strong federal and state income tax technical skills, exceptional written and verbal communications skills, as well as excellent project management, organizational and interpersonal skills. This position will also work closely with the tax compliance, tax provision and international tax teams, so being able to work in a collaborative environment is essential.
- Proactively manage multiple audits, including working professionally with auditors, responding to issues and IDRs from auditors, performing technical research, evaluating potential issues, and providing critical analysis and creative problem solving to find favorable audit resolutions
- Research and analyze technical issues and write position papers, audit protest letters, and IDR responses
- Help determine appropriate tax reserve levels in accordance with ASC 740
- Act as a key team member in global tax planning, including researching and implementing new ideas and playing a key role on significant projects such as R&D credits, M&A issues, and state tax planning
- Work effectively with outside advisors in connection with audits, key strategic projects and tax planning initiatives, including M&A projects
- Provide support to the Tax Accounting and Tax Compliance teams by communicating audit issues timely and making recommendations when changes are needed to filing positions or tax reserve levels
- Monitor legislative changes to U.S. federal and state/local tax laws, evaluate impact of changes, and identify opportunities and adverse consequences
- Must be able to work closely with various other departments, including accounting, revenue operations, legal, and treasury groups on an ongoing basis
• 5 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD; Degree in Accounting or related field
• 6+ years of progressive tax experience, including some controversy work, with an accounting/law firm and/or a large publicly-traded company
• 6 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 4 or more years of relevant experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or up to 3 years of relevant experience with a PhD
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license or JD is preferred
• MS in Taxation or LLM is a plus
• Excellent written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal skills
• Comfortable meeting deadlines and solving problems in a fast paced, multiple priorities environment
• Detail oriented with excellent research and analytical skills
• Exceptional problem solving, strategic & creative thinking
• Ability to work independently; a self-starter; results oriented
• Strong organizational and project planning skills
• Proven ability to simultaneously manage several projects
• Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate complex tax and accounting issues
• Demonstrated capability to collaborate with a team
• Proven success building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external business partners
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.