- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Global Product Design is seeking an experienced, hands-on Design Director with expert capabilities in interaction, visual design, and digital product design. Prefer a candidate who has agency or agency-adjacent experience. Candidate would be responsible for building a small team (2-3 roles, 6-12 months). Looking across our global product design efforts, this role and the reporting team would help identify when design-related initiatives happening at the product level could be elevated and developed for broader use. The Director would be responsible for building a working partnership with brand and legal, and would collaborate with, augment, and empower our product design teams to create emboldened solutions that would be leveraged across our entire organization and brand.
We're looking for a Leader, a Mentor and an Expert.
- You'll lead and design usable, accessible, and engaging digital experiences for the web and mobile
- You'll own and make design decisions based on a thorough understanding of contemporary user-centered design principles
- You'll exercise independent judgment with minimal direction from supervisor
- You'll collaborate with business partners and build upon their vision using sound UX principles
- You'll mentor and provide guidance to junior staff
- You’ll directly manage designers
- You'll partner and collaborate with, Brand, Legal, Product and Technology teams to create world-class digital products.
- You’ll report to a Senior Director under Global Product Design but often work with - and give status updates directly to - leadership at the VP level and above.
The ideal candidate:
- 10+ years minimum experience
- Subject Matter Expertise in digital product design for B2B and consumer
Exercises independent judgment with minimal direction from supervisor
Able to collaborate with business partners and build upon their vision using sound UX principles
Passionate about making web and mobile applications easier to use and accessible to all users
Understanding of design techniques and principles involved in the production of design guidelines, web and mobile component interaction patterns, and B2B / consumer page layouts
Strong analytical skills with an ability to communicate concepts and recommendations confidently to a variety of audiences
Thorough, methodical, and exhibits an extreme attention to detail
Very strong verbal and written communication skills. Fluent in spoken and written English
Strong problem-solving skills, customer service and interpersonal skills
Self-starter who is comfortable with minimal day-to-day guidance, expertly manages their own time and that of others.
Proficiency designing and developing prototypes using Figma, InVision, or other industry tools.
Experience conducting usability tests (including with users with disabilities) a plus
Experience working with SCRUM in an Agile environment a plus Subject Matter Expertise in Accessibility (508/WCAG) a plus Group facilitation and teaching (design thinking) skills a plus
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 10+ years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- Experience designing tools for use in an enterprise environment.
- Experience designing for complex business and functional requirements.
- Experience facilitating design thinking workshops.
- Knowledgeable about accessibility guidelines and best practices.
- Experience and understanding of Product Management and the agile process.
- Be able to stand by your designs and provide solid rationale to back up your decision.
- Cross-functional team leadership experience required with demonstrated results.
- Experience in leading more than one global-scale project and project teams.
- A strong practical point of view of User Experience.
- Experience with UX research techniques.
- Experience launching world-class UX solutions for the web and mobile.
- Expert knowledge of visual, UI and interaction design principles with an eye for details and consistency.
- Experience using and creating/contributing to design systems & style guides.
- Experience using Figma, Sketch, InVision, and Mural.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Fully fluent in English and able to understand and be easily understood in spoken and written English.
- Ability to work independently and manage one's time.
- Subject Matter Expertise in design systems and digital product design for B2B and consumer
- 5+ years managing direct reports
- Command of design techniques and principles involved in the production of design guidelines, web and mobile component interaction patters, B2B and B2C page layouts, iconography, illustration and the systems of creation to enable it all
- Exercises independent judgment with minimal direction from supervisor
- Able to collaborate with business partners and build upon their vision using sound UX principles
- Passionate about making web and mobile applications easier to use and accessible to all users
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to communicate concepts and recommendations confidently to a variety of audiences
- Thorough, methodical, and exhibits an extreme attention to detail
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills. Fluent in spoken and written
- Create high-quality design deliverables such as wireframes, user-flow diagrams, design comps, and interactive InVision prototypes
- Lead design thinking workshops as necessary
- Manage stakeholder relationships
- Plan & lead design projects
- Quickly propose possible design solutions to UX issues
- Work and communicate effectively with a diverse team of product owners, designers, design researchers, developers, and internal business partners & stakeholders
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.