Sr. Director, Design – Head of Design, Visa Business Solutions
- Atlanta, GA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Design @ Visa—comprised of five core specializations: Design, Research & Accessibility, Design Engineering, Design Operations and Content Design—is scaling significantly to better support Visa’s growing digital product line. It’s our belief that great design has the ability to engage and inspire users, and we strive to rethink and redefine how users interact with Visa's applications and products. Our team members are innovative thinkers and strategic problem solvers, as analytical as they are creative. Collectively, we value hard work, accountability and collaboration, and we prize team success over personal gain.
Reporting to the Head of Core Design at Visa, this position will lead a team focused on Visa Business Solutions (VBS) and the roadmap for research, design and delivery of cohesive and compelling product offerings. This change-agent will partner with Design @ Visa verticals and will be a key collaborator with VBS Product + Technology leadership to transform and optimize the impact, productivity, culture, and scalability of the VBS Design team. Visa Business Solutions drives strategy, product development, platform management and sales for Commercial, B2B and Payables solutions for small, middle market, and large multinational companies and the public sector.
The candidate must be a passionate, strategic design leader with a background in B2B, Payables Automation and Commercial service offerings to enable VBS to unlock bold change through an experience-first approach. Skilled at navigating ambiguity, this individual must be adept at detecting patterns and themes while rapidly toggling between macro and micro views to deliver the best experience for Visa’s clients and partners.
Role responsibilities include:
- Inform the design of new and emerging world-class user experience concepts that stretch market definitions, grow new business opportunities, and drive differentiated future products
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team of product owners, researchers, designers, and technologists to assess emerging global and regional commerce ecosystem trends, and identify strategic current and emerging opportunities for Visa in the near-to-long term
- Synthesize data from market and design research, as well as business context, to drive a design-led roadmap with VBS stakeholders
- Help to ideate, investigate, and evaluate concepts across near-to-long-term product horizons
- Lead and manage a complex set of product initiatives, including embedding design in development and delivery efforts to ensure integration of design with agile principles and practices
- Champion a design culture that raises the bar on performance, expectations, and outcomes to deliver outsized impact
- Through participation with other Design leaders, inspire internal teams and advance external thought leadership
- Considers the market, client, and end-customer trends impacting the B2B Finance sector, while bringing in innovations from adjacent industries to help reframe and deliver optimized experiences
- Participate in Design organization goal setting, portfolio planning, metrics, etc.
- Be a people champion and talent attractor, for your team and Visa Design
- Proficiency with industry standard Design tools
- Subject Matter Expertise in interaction, visual, or service design
- Experience working with SCRUM in an Agile environment a plus
- Subject Matter Expertise in Accessibility (508/WCAG) a plus
- Group facilitation and teaching (design thinking) skills a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including thorough and methodical attention to detail
- Fully fluent in English and able to understand and be easily understood in English
- Ability to communicate concepts and recommendations confidently to a variety of audiences
- Ability to self-manage time and work independently or as part of a team
- Lead a team delivering design-driven product offerings for a complex business
- Manage intra- and inter-team as well as external stakeholder relationships
- Work and communicate effectively with a diverse team of product owners, sales and consulting staff, clients, designers, and developers
• 12+ years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 10 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 5 years of work experience with a PhD
• 15+ yrs design experience (preferably in B2B segments) with 4 yrs people management
• Expert knowledge of visual, UI and interaction design principles as well as UX Research methodologies and tools with an eye for details and consistency
• Proven ability to tackle a diverse set of organizational challenges and recognize patterns to develop strategic and scalable solutions
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously
• Master facilitator with c-suite experience, demonstrating excellence in presentation polish, and strong client orientation
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – a deep confidence in your craft coupled with humility and openness to trying new approaches
• Proven leadership skills in developing, training, and mentoring a world class team, and a track record in building and motivating a community of design practitioners
• Proficiency in key design and business-related software (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc)
• Payment industry experience a plus
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.