Sr. Director Software Engineer
- Austin, TX
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
VISA seeks a Chief engineer for the Observability Platform. As part of the O&I Observability team you will be expected provide the following.
- Technology/Team management: Build & manage new team at Austin to focus on observability system development for OVN that includes cross-functional resources including developers, testers and possibly PMs. In this new role the candidate will help to attract, retain, and train top talents
- Strategic Project ownership: Lead the OVN Observability solution using cross vertical teams from Network processing, O&I and OVN. Ensure strong strategic alignment across the cross verticals
- Drive Technology Standards: Drive the definition, rollout, and adoption of Open Observability standards across Visa
- Be the O&I Evangelist Observability: Be the technology evangelist of Observability across Visa and drive adoption metric
- Drive the coordination, organization and execution of qualitative and quantitative decisions and advise senior management on insights and recommended actions.
- Strong and well-honed ability to influence, motivate and collaborate with a wide variety of partners and stakeholders.
- Work cross functionally to proactively ensure Visa technologies are capable of handling emerging or future business requirements
- 12 or more years of work experience in software development with a Bachelor's Degree or at least 10 years of work experience with a Masters; or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD. Degrees in Computer Science or related fields.
- Deep technical expertise in architecture design of large scale platforms and application with simple solutions.
- Extensive hands-on design/coding experience/skills using Java, J2EE, C++, C#, .NET.
- Extensive service development experience with high performance and scalability and potentially experience with other APM tools
- Big data and cloud computing technologies including Hadoop, Spark, Hive, etc.
- Experience on distributed application performance engineering, mobile application development, database design, middleware, user interface development, and information security engineering
- Background in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as
data management, query processing, distributed processing, high availability,
statistical, data mining, machine learning and operational excellence of
production systems is required.
- Demonstrated expertise in leveraging agile and other development
- Experience at technical goal setting for a project with actionable success metrics. Good knowledge and experience on measuring a service from user experience angle.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in one or more of
the following areas: application architecture, solutions architecture, software
- Self-motivated, fast learner, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology.
- interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural
issues and concepts to multiple organization levels and executive management.
- Exceptional leadership and team player abilities.
- Payment industry experience is required.
- Risk and/or authentication experience is a big plus.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.