Sr. Staff Data Engineer, Data Platform
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
To ensure that Visa’s payment technology is truly available to everyone, everywhere requires the success of our key bank or merchant partners and internal business units. The Global Data Science group supports these partners by using our extraordinarily rich data set that spans more than 3 billion cards globally and captures more than 100 billion transactions in a single year.
Are you skilled at turning hard numbers into compelling stories and useful strategic insights? Do you solve complex data challenges with creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for helping to blueprint and deliver modelled attributes, data assets, and self-serve workflows that solve clients' business objectives. You will get the chance to leverage your business acumen and technical knowledge of big data and data mining techniques. Based on deep understanding and knowledge of big-data engineering techniques, you will develop and maintain data and tools to enable data scientists to draw fact based insights and build models This function is critical in building market-relevant client solutions and intellectual property for Visa.
The position will be based at Visa's India office in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Translate business requirements and source system understanding into technical solutions using Big Data & Java etc.
- Work with business partners directly to seek clarity on requirements
- Define solutions in terms of components, modules and algorithms
- Design, develop, document and implement new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software.
- Create technical documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
- Write Unit Tests covering known use cases using appropriate tools
- Integrate test frameworks in development process
- Refactor existing solutions to make it reusable and scalable
- Work with operations to get the solutions deployed
- Take ownership of production deployment of code
- Collaborating with and/or lead cross functional teams, build and launch applications and data platforms at scale, either for revenue generating or operational purposes
- Come up with Coding and Design best practices
- Thrive in self-motivated internal-innovation driven environment
- Adapting fast to new application knowledge and changes.
- Be the Area/Data Asset owner of the area he/she works in.
Successful candidates frequently have a mix of the following qualifications:
- Bachelors in Computer Science, or Information Systems or related field
- 10 years of experience in data technologies and applications development
- 3+ years of experience in Hadoop using Core Java Programming, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Pig scripts, Sqoop on Linux/Unix environment
- Expertise in Cassandra, ScyllaDB, Nifi is a plus.
- Agile development experience
- Expertise in Object Oriented Programming Language - Java/ Python
- Strong algorithms and data structures
- Ability to generate creative and innovative solutions for QA challenges and constraints
- Strong knowledge of database concepts and UNIX/LINUX
- Expert level SQL skills for data manipulation (DML) and validation (DB2)
- Experience using version control and bug tracking tools
- Result oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Work independently with minimal supervision
- Comfortable learning new technologies quickly
- Experience leading a small team good to have
- Excellent team player
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.