- London, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analogue to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
By joining one of our teams at Visa Payments Ltd, a division of Visa Inc since 2019, you’ll have an opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Being part of Visa, the world’s leader in digital payments technology, our mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network, enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive.
Visa Payments Ltd is a financial technology business that provides cross-border payment processing services to banks and payments businesses across six continents through its global network.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we are proud that we are a talented team of 18,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life both within and outside of the office, and whether it is taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programmes, Visa Payments Ltd and Visa Inc. respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
If you think you could support the Visa family by joining Visa Payments Ltd as a Middleware Consultant, we want to hear from you.
What’s it all about?
Reporting directly to the Linux, Middleware & Database Senior Manager within the Visa Payments Ltd (VPL) Operations & Infrastructure Technology team, the Middleware Consultant will be responsible for the various aspects of supporting our business critical applications from a Middleware perspective. This will include out of hours support for any production incidents.
The successful candidate will join others within the O&I Product team, specifically other Middleware Consultants to support the technology needs of the business, including designing, developing and supporting our applications. Collectively the team ensures Visa Payments Ltd systems maintain agreed availability, performance, maintainability and security standards, aligning to Visa where possible. Working alongside others both within VPL O&I teams and wider, this role requires delivery of technical solutions that align with the infrastructure strategy, identifying areas for automation and simplification.
Knowledge and understanding of IT infrastructure components (servers, network, storage, application software and data center facilities) and ITSM related processes are critical to this role.
About the Team
The main function of the team is to provide support to the end users, maintain and support our infrastructure including the on-prem, cloud-based environments and services. The wider team is made up of various SMEs supporting all aspects of Operations and Infrastructure. Whilst there are dedicated SMEs in many streams, this role works closely across all IT teams to design, maintain and deliver projects and improvements to the different areas and technologies within VPL.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Support the technology needs of the business (design, development and support of technology infrastructure).
- Ensure that Visa Payments Ltd systems meet stated objectives relating to availability, performance, maintainability and security.
- L3 Technical point of contact for our Business Critical services and other on prem or 3rd party applications.
- Lead and participate in project activities.
- Drive and help deliver the migration of our existing applications into Visa Data Centres from a Middleware and application perspective.
- Develop and deliver effective technical solutions, aligned with the infrastructure strategy.
- Align with VPL’s Change, Incident and problem management processes.
- Remediate security findings and other vulnerabilities within resolution dates.
- Build and manage relationships with other teams and divisions both locally within VPL and Visa as a wider organisation.
- Work with the requirements, documentation, and training teams so process improvements are implemented, documented, and users are trained in their use.
- Evangelises the virtues of IT process management, creating a collaborative environment.
- Liaise in written and verbal forms with peers and other areas of the business, presenting to Senior Management where required to gain support.
What we’re after…
- At least 5 + years extensive experience in Middleware technologies.
- IBM WebSphere application server Administration (Version 8.5.5 onwards) Administration (Installation, Configuration, Patching, Migrations, performance monitoring & tuning, security hardening, and application deployments of WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment and BASE versions)
- IBM HTTP Server, Nginx and Apache Web Server Administration.
- Experience administering Tomcat OR Springboot servers.
- Strong Shell and Python scripting skills.
- Good exposure to mark-up languages like HTML and XML.
- Experience with developing Ansible roles to automate application installation and configuration management.
- Experience in Performance Tuning of Web applications.
- Good understanding of High availability, clustering concepts and architectures.
- Experience using version controlling tools such as Git on private repositories for the organization in GitHub / BitBucket
- Knowledge of basic network and security fundamentals including transport layer protocols (TCP/IP) as well as common application layer protocols (e.g. DNS, FTP, SMTP, etc.) and firewalls.
- Deep understanding of DevOps benefits and concepts.
- Experience Leading and working with offshore teams.
- Proven practical problem solving and analysis experience.
- Good presentation and communications skills across multiple levels of the organisation, including senior management.
- Ability, desire and motivation to learn quickly and pick up new processes with an eye for detail and improvements.
- Organised and be able to priorities workload to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrable teamworking attitude, ready to initiate collaboration and resolve conflicts.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal).
Technologies you’ll support / use…
- IBM WebSphere application server (Version 8.5.5 onwards)
- WebSphere Messaging Queue (version 8 onwards)
- IBM HTTP Server, Nginx and Apache WebServer
- WebSphere MFT
- Tomcat & Springboot
- Management of SSL certificates and Keys
- Rabbit MQ administration and configuration
- Administration of BIG-IP F5 Application Delivery Controller LTM, ASM and APM
- Dynatrace, for Monitoring and problem diagnosing in Applications
- Splunk for Log Monitoring and Alerting
- Jira, Confluence, Salesforce & ServiceNow
- Nagios, Graphite, Splunk for Infrastructure Monitoring
- LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol).
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you - we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.