Staff Database Engineer -DB2 LUW
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Visa Inc. is a global payment technology company that connects consumers, businesses, financial institutions and governments in more than 200 countries and territories, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash or checks. The simple yet unwavering vision has been to be the best way to pay and be paid for everyone, everywhere.
Visa does not issue cards, extend credit or set rates and fees for consumers. Visa’s innovations enable its bank customers to offer consumers choices: Pay now with debit, ahead of time with prepaid or later with credit products. From the world’s major cities to remote areas without banks, people are increasingly relying on digital currency along with mobile technology to use their money anytime, make purchases online, transfer funds and access basic financial services. All of which makes their lives easier and helps grow economies.
Behind the Visa brand there is a tightknit team of about 10,000. This means each employee can make a real impact in the field that interests them, whether it’s payments technology, social responsibility, engineering, financial inclusion or marketing sponsorship. Very few companies can offer its employees the global reach that Visa does. This is the power of Visa’s “My Everywhere”.
At the heart of Visa lies a secure, global payments processing network that for 40 years has empowered people, businesses and governments in over 200 countries. It is in the midst of profound change, innovating like never before and transforming and refreshing the technology assets to set the foundation for the next several decades.
Within Technology, Infrastructure division provides best-in-class infrastructure services that are secure, scalable, continuous available. It architects, builds and maintains secure and reliable data centers, systems and networks to support the business functionality that Visa provides to payment industry stakeholders.
The Database team is part of Infrastructure’s Distributed Systems Division and is responsible for delivering open system database infrastructures with operational excellence, being the industry leader in preventive and predictive operations driven by continuous innovation through selfheal and automated ecosystems, architecting, engineering, and building the reliable, scalable, secure, available, and cost-effective database infrastructure solutions for product development partners; working closely with them to use database products to the best, meeting various workload requirements, being transactional, analytical, non-relational, or data warehouse.
The team is the technology owner of multiple RDBMS and NoSQL technologies, is responsible to strategize, advance, and engineer enterprise solution for automated build/patching and efficient administration, that meet security, availability, performance, fast delivery and reporting requirements, and to support projects and products using these technologies.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the plan, build and run activities related to database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to the design/architect, solution engineering, and support; will be responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining the running systems, able to perform problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
Primarily the architecture, engineering, deployment and support of this database technology.
* Support Database Platform Engineering in the architecture, development and deployment of DB2 UDB on LUW and DB2 partitioned databases/ DPF in high SLA environments. Support NoSQL technologies like MongoDB, Cassandra, and Redis will be a plus. This includes, but is not limited to, advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
* Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
* Experienced technologist with strengths in problem determination and technical support for high-volume production database systems.
* Team Leader who is self-motivated, proactive and able to pick new technologies and business domain quickly.
* Plan and define prerequisites for the database implementation such as operating system, storage and network requirements.
* Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
* Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain DB2 LUW databases in production and non-production environments.
* Support local failover with TSA and High Availability Disaster Recovery (HADR) environment. Participate in Database Maintenance and DR activities.
* Write/maintain OS level scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
* Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
* Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
* Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level3 issues.
* Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
* Work closely with other Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA’s and performance targets.
* Adapt business requirements, model data, and develop database specifications, table and element attributes.
* Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
* Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
* Degree: Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology field is a must.
* Experience (level differentiation): 5-8 years of DBA experience, generally with DB2 LUW and partitioned databases/ DPF environment.
* Key Skillsets: Strong knowledge and extensive experience with DB2 UDB RDBMS technologies is mandatory and good understanding about BLU acceleration.
* Other Required Skillsets: Sound knowledge of all UNIX and DB2 UDB utilities. Troubleshoot database production problems and database connectivity issues.
* Should have strong UNIX platform skills and understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
* Proficiency in writing SQL procedures, functions and packages for administration and application support and experience with Q replication, Range partitioned tables, Hash partitioned tables, Replicated MQT's and MDC's.
* Strong knowledge of operating systems, scripting languages, data modeling and business intelligence tools.
* Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
* Demonstrated ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
* Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
* Sound knowledge of NoSQL technologies like MongoDB, Cassandra is preferable.
* Work experience in a Financial Institute will be preferred.
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 18,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global
advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.