Staff Software Engineer - Java
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
This position is an individual contributor role on the Issuer Processing Platform Development Team. The successful candidate will be part of a team to design and develop REST based APIs and perform unit and integration testing on newly developed components. Candidate will assist with troubleshooting and resolving defects during the software development life cycle. This role will also contribute to building and maintaining Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery Pipelines. Candidate will interface directly with staff members of Development, Product Management, Project Management, and Quality Assurance.
As a key member of the development team, the candidate should be comfortable with driving technical ideas and communicating clearly with technical as well as non-technical audiences.
- Design and develop API based applications using Java, utilizing spring framwork.
- Design, develop, document and implement new functionality, as well as build enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software.
- Develop TDD/BDD unit-tests and oversee execution.
- Create documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
- Build and maintain relationships with global and virtual teams on software development or support issues.
- Engage with Quality Assurance team members on defect triage and resolution.
- Lead development and oversee programming testing functions to ensure that projects are securely delivered while fulfilling expectations.
- Work as part of a development team and establish close working relationships with stake holders, quality assurance, architects, management and peers in engineering.
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes.
- Prepare design documents; evaluate and recommend solutions to meet user requirements; define and implement solutions.
- Participate in the Agile process including stand-up meetings, sprint planning, reviews and retrospectives.
- Lead by example; demonstrating accountability, mentoring junior team members, and by contributing to departmental procedures, best practices, and standards.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- At least 6 years of working experience in the IT industry, preferably with advanced web development in Java environment
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD
- Extensive experience in architecting and developing real-time multithreaded Java applications that are fault-tolerant, scalable and can handle high volumes
- DevOps experience preferred, with Jenkins, Chef, Kubernetes, CICD, Dockers
- Experience in building and maintaining Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery Pipelines
- Experience in best practices for API development and design patterns.
- Knowledge of .net code base is a plus
- Knowledgeable of common developer tool sets such as Java, XML, JSON, REST, Spring etc is preferred
- Experience in utilizing technologies such as GIT, Maven, JUnit
- Experience with REST services
- Design, develop, document and implement new functionality, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to
- Experience in creating performing tests and produce results to ensure accurate compliance with project design requirements for compliance, load and performance testing
- Create documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance
- Ability to develop code that follows established coding guidelines.
- Service excellence and innovation; create opportunities; consistently think and act 'ahead of the curve.'
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough.
- Working knowledge NoSQL DB considered a plus
- Experience in all phases of software development life cycle including project management, functional requirements definition, technical design, development, testing, quality assurance, system certification, systems implementation and system validation.
- Consistently able to assess and evaluate problems in a production environment and manage risk to the service when recommending change
- Strong secure coding practices
- Strong experience working in an Agile environment. Commitment to Agile values and team-based work.
- Experience in implementing Application Telemetry to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring
- Should be able to understand and own component security analysis, including code and data flow review. Collaborate with security team to implement and verify secure coding techniques.
- Experience in virtualized environments, including deployments, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Analyze and troubleshoot deployment issues in a timely manner
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates with the right to work in Singapore. We are keeping the situation under close review and will adjust accordingly should the restrictive measures be lifted.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours. Candidate will need to possess a flexible approach - on limited occasions, there may be a need to attend calls/meetings outside of core hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.