Lead System Engineer
- Shanghai, China
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates who are currently in China with the right to work in China. We are keeping the situation under close review and will adjust accordingly should the restrictive measures be lifted.
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The China Operations and Infrastructure group is responsible for the support, availability, and reliability of Visa China’s technology infrastructure. The China system operation team is responsible for the ongoing support and operation of Visa China’s compute, storage and backup infrastructures. The system operation team prides itself in keeping the database, applications and systems of Visa up and running to cater to the 24x7 needs of the business. This position is created to help seed the groundbreaking technology support team for Visa in China, and will be located in Shanghai.
This is an individual contributor role responsible for solving unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business, with the expectation of leadership opportunities as the business and team grow.
- Provide Linux and storage/backup operations support for all in-country live applications and services according to defined Operations Level Agreement (OLA). Provide technical coordination, oversight and leadership for staff and serve as escalation point for complex technical issues.
- Serve as a technical lead for system installation, configuration, and operational support of compute, storage and backup infrastructures
- Monitor Linux and storage/backup user and system activity logs for anomalies and take pro-active remediation action.
- Build and maintain relationship with global teams and third parties on system development or support issues
- Collaborate with application support teams to optimize performance of Linux and storage/backup infrastructure.
- Prioritize investigation of high impact incidents to identify root causes and mitigation measures.
- Secure Linux and storage/backup software in production and testing environments by installing all mandated security patches within stipulated dates.
- Ensure daily backup of all production applications/systems is successful so that full recovery of all production applications/systems during a disaster is possible.
- Perform essential routine maintenance of Linux and storage/backup infrastructure to assure their integrity and stability.
- Provision new physical/virtual servers and storage/backup resources as well as participate in capacity planning to cater for immediate and future growth.
- Ensure new Linux and storage/backup infrastructure comply with technical security requirements prior to operations handover.
- Keep system and storage/backup operations documentation up-to-date.
- Provide highest level of technical consultancy to ensure problem resolution is achieved in the shortest possible timeframe
- Ensure full compliance of Visa Key Controls and Technical Service Requirements for all system architecture, designs, implementation and operations both past and present
- Work with the Information Security Office to ensure solutions deployed meet Visa Security Requirements and provide technical assistance for investigation and analysis of security alerts
- Develop processes and procedures for use by the system operation team and third parties in the management of compute/storage/backup infrastructures.
- Mentor junior team members, develop departmental procedures and best practices standards
- Provide recommendations to management team to increase effectiveness of organization and technology solutions
- 10 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/ MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience working in large, complex, enterprise datacenter environments.
- 12 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD in Computer Science or related discipline
- 10 or more years of hands-on experience deploying and supporting Linux and SAN/NAS storage/backup systems.
- Experience with cloud and container technologies is preferred
- Experience with VMware and Red Hat hypervisors and blade systems from HPE and Dell.
- Experience with EMC and/or HDS enterprise and midrange storage arrays.
- Experience with Brocade and/or Cisco SAN switches and routers.
- Experience with EMC Isilon and/or NetApp NAS storage arrays.
- Experience with NetBackup.
- Experience with storage configuration, volume management and path management software tools (LVM, Native MPIO, EMC PowerPath, HDS HDLM, etc.).
- Experience with Disaster Recovery as it relates to storage systems and data recovery techniques, including disk replication, snapshots and disaster recovery best practices.
- Strong troubleshooting skills for end-to-end storage/backup stack (VMs, hosts, SAN switches, and storage/backup devices).
- Scripting proficiency in Linux environment.
- Relevant Linux and storage/backup industry certifications are preferred.
- Ability to represent technical and business issues and solutions to multiple levels internally and externally to support strategic organizational plans
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams on key infrastructure projects.
- Ability to learn new technologies and paradigms.
- Strong, hands-on technical and engineering expertise allied with business acumen.
- Strong planning, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills in English
- Experience leading complex global projects from development through implementation
- Ability to understand systems from all levels, from the "big picture" enterprise-level view to the low-level technical view
- ITIL certification preferre
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.