Sr. Associate Counsel, Legal
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Visa Asia Pacific Legal team manages Visa's legal affairs in the Asia Pacific region. Our team provides advice and services to ensure business goals are successfully met and that Visa's brand and reputation are protected while minimizing legal liability and regulatory risk. Our vision entails each legal professional living the guiding principles to be a proactive partner who never loses sight of his/her responsibility to protect the company.
What a Sr. Associate Counsel in Legal does at Visa:
The position is for a seasoned business/commercial attorney to join Visa's growing legal team that supports Visa's businesses responsible for our Southeast Asian markets including in the areas of sales contracts, corporate matters, products, marketing agreements and routine Legal business and contracts enquires. The position will report to the Senior Counsel who is the head of Southeast Asia for Visa Legal in the Asia Pacific region. The applicant should ideally have experience in commercial business law and management and be able to draft robustly and to a high standard. The applicant must have solid technical legal skills with good commercial/legal risk judgment, and be able to juggle multiple priorities in a fast paced and challenging, but rewarding, environment.
We are looking for a strong legal advisor and commercial lawyer rolled into one with excellent communication and analytical skills, who is self-motivated and willing to work reasonably hard. Prior payments experience is not required, although the applicant must be willing to learn Visa's business model and the payments industry.
In this role, you are expected to:
- Work closely with business teams to review and advise on commercial and contractual enhancements and/or new business initiatives, as well as day to day commercial related matters
- Be an effective representative/ stakeholder for the AP Legal team in the global legal office and Country management, and liaise with/cooperate with other members of the global and regional Visa legal team
- Draft, negotiate and drive to completion complex commercial, technology, and strategic partnership agreements that achieve business objectives
- Provide counseling and advice to business and technology teams regarding deal structures and common approaches to addressing issues
- Assist in regulatory and government engagements/consultations on payment regulations across the AP region and be an effective strategic advisor to the business and government engagement teams
- Some travel may be required
Why this is important to Visa
The Sr. Associate Counsel provides legal advice, counsel and support to Visa’s business operations in the Asia Pacific region and serves as a trusted and respected advisor to senior management and a variety of business units. The Sr. Associate Counsel has responsibility for enabling Visa’s business and protecting Visa, through drafting agreements, assisting with negotiations, and advising on diverse areas of law for strategic partnerships, commercial transactions, technology and intellectual property-related matters as well as daily operations of the business.
Projects you will be a part of:
You will be a member of a regional legal team that works at the cutting edge of new payment technologies, innovation and the fintech industry in an increasingly regulated environment, which brings unique and novel challenges in the commercial/technology law space.
What you will need:
We are looking for a strong leader who brings of breadth of experience and knowledge of the industry and our business. As a candidate, you should have:
- Minimum 8+ years legal experience, some of which must be at a top tier law firm or MNC
- Strong academic credentials, including a degree from a well-recognized and reputable law school
- Must be able to work independently and interface with executive level stakeholders with little or no supervision, but also be a good team player
- Must be a practical and proactive problem-solver, must have a strong business acumen and be confident, mature and calm under fire
- Demonstrated ability to manage and drive complex commercial and technology transactions, including internationally driven deals
- Strong understanding of privacy and data transfer issues in multi jurisdictions.
- Excellent legal analytical skills with the ability to integrate legal advice and business knowledge, while providing balanced advice regarding risks and benefits
- Admission to practice in a Commonwealth jurisdiction is preferred
- Must be able to live and work in Singapore
What will also help (Optional):
- Legal practice experience of any Southeast Asian market an advantage
- Southeast Asian language skills and fluency an advantage
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates with the right to work in Singapore. We are keeping the situation under close review and will adjust accordingly should the restrictive measures be lifted.