Privacy Program Director
- Foster City, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Privacy Program Director will be a member of Visa’s growing Global Privacy Office. You will help lead global privacy operations for Visa, working transversally with privacy counsel and information governance professionals in the GPO to reflect Visa’s commitment to data protection operationally throughout the organization.
Subject Matter Expertise: You will have expert knowledge, demonstrated interest, and significant experience in privacy regulation and compliance in the financial services and/ or technology sector(s). Specifically, you will:
- Possess and maintain current knowledge of established governance frameworks applicable international, federal, and state privacy regulations;
- Monitor advancements in information privacy technologies to support organizational adaptation and compliance, and
- Leverage your expertise as a partner with privacy counsel and information governance colleagues to assess the impact of changes to regulations, and oversee the implementation of Visa’s operational response to those regulatory changes in key Visa processes, systems and related technologies.
Project Management: Demonstrate outstanding communication and project management skills, an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of a fast-paced, complex and innovative business. You must have a deep attention to detail, a broad understanding of the compliance management system, be a self-starter and poses the flexibility to simultaneously work on a wide range of cross-programmatic initiatives. Specifically, you will:
- Be responsible for determining scope, developing and managing project plans across multiple stakeholder groups including analyzing, advising, and driving the implementation of privacy enhancing technologies;
- Effectively and efficiently plan and prioritize all deliverables and resources working across project(s) based on scope of work and project goals, and
- Manage schedules, budgets, assets, and overall project organization to ensure requirements and project deliverables dates are clearly communicated, understood and executed upon.
Policies, Processes and Procedures: Engage in a wide range of activities all aimed at supporting Visa’s Global Privacy Program, including designing and implementing policies, controls and privacy-related processes. You will ensure full life cycle management of these policies and processes in collaboration with corporate technology, privacy counsel and information governance colleagues and work with senior management to maintain and enhance a truly global privacy program including by:
- Developing and maintaining appropriate privacy control frameworks, policies and notices, including designing and implementing policies, controls and privacy-related processes. This involves the full life cycle management of initiatives that are foundational and essential to building and maintaining a mature Global Privacy Program,
- Monitoring and reporting on the ongoing initiatives of the privacy program, using appropriate privacy technologies, and
- Monitoring and measuring privacy management performance for first and second line of defense activities.
External Notices and Compliance-Driven Communications: Work with privacy counsel, enterprise risk, third party vendor management, technology and the business units to ensure the organization has and maintains appropriate privacy and confidentiality consent, authorization forms, and information notices and materials that reflect current organization and legal requirements. You will:
- Work with privacy counsel, information security, corporate technology and the business units to ensure Visa appropriately responds to consumer privacy requests and complaints including partnering with customer advocacy on all complaints concerning the organization’s privacy policies, procedures and processes in coordination with legal counsel, and
- Assist in the review all system-related information security plans throughout the organization to ensure alignment between security and privacy practices, in coordination with technology, risk and privacy counsel.
Audit and Risk Reviews:
- You will interact with auditors during audits, examinations or due diligences related to privacy and customer information security compliance matters. These matters may include representing the Global Privacy Office as the point of contract for Mergers & Acquisitions including conducting gap assessments and integration strategy for acquisitions, investments and divestures, as applicable.
- 10 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/ MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 7 years of privacy related work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 5 years of experience with a relevant advanced degree.
- Relevant experience includes privacy governance and/or privacy operations management and/ or privacy legal experience in a global entity
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with and support cross-functional project teams
- Versatility, ability to prioritize and handle a large number of matters, and ability to work effectively on a small team with significant workload
- Ability to successfully navigate environments with imperfect information, and to assess and predict second and third order impacts
- Ability to understand and document project requirements and dependencies
- Team player, able to influence, collaborate, negotiate and solve problems with business partners and expert teams across the organizational lines
- Strong people skills with proven ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and work on cross-functional teams on complex issues
- Prior compliance privacy officer experience
- Experience within a financial institution or technology company
- Knowledge of GLBA, Right to Financial Privacy, California Privacy rules and Civil Code Data Breach notification, FCRA Identity Theft Red Flags, and other privacy and information security related laws; knowledge of GDPR
- Previous M&A project management experience
- Strong project management and execution
- Strong attention to detail and focus on task completion
- Competencies in MS Office, MS Project, and other related project management and common communications tools is required, experience with privacy technology solutions
- Varies upon the needs of the department
- This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.