Director, Senior Tax Counsel (AP region)
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa’s Global Tax department comprises a diverse group of over 40 professionals located throughout Visa’s global offices spanning; Foster City, California, London, Miami, Dubai and Singapore. The Global Tax department manages both direct and indirect tax strategy, planning, reform, transfer pricing, controversy and compliance as a US multinational organization.
Visa is seeking a Director, Senior Tax Counsel to join its Asia Pacific (AP) Tax team in Singapore. This newly-created position will be a key tax legal adviser to the business in relation to contract review, deal structuring, and tax litigation matters to manage the effective tax rate and cash taxes for the AP region.
The role will report to the Vice President, Head of Tax – AP and partner closely with various Global Tax, Finance, Treasury, Legal, HR and Business teams.
- Engage directly with business partners, cross functional teams as well as external advisers to provide excellent real time tax analysis and deal structuring advice during negotiation of major client and vendor contracts
- Provide tax legal support for key projects and initiatives, including but not limited to business restructuring, M&A integration
- Provide legal counsel on the application of complex tax laws and rulings to resolve questions from the business and senior management
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements from a tax risk management perspective, such as client incentive agreements, advertising and promotion agreements, sponsorship agreements, technology agreements, consultancy and contractor agreements, and confidentiality agreements
- Ability to create standard tax templates and clauses to expedite agreement drafting and improve time to market. This also includes development of template/standard documents or adapting existing documents to local requirements.
- Take responsibility for developing, implementing and updating tax documentation as required
- Participate as the "tax legal department" representative on various projects teams, steering committees and panels as and when the need arises
- Lead tax audit controversy matters for selected entities; partner with the cluster/country tax team leads to review tax litigation strategy for the region
- Assist in managing tax-related disputes with commercial parties where necessary
- Determine when external legal advice is required and instruct and manage external tax counsel to procure advice on various specialist tax legal matters in an efficient and cost-effective way. Translate external tax legal advice into practical business solutions for the applicable country or functional business units
- Perform legal research and analysis on tax regulatory developments across the region
- Proactively monitor and analyze newly enacted tax legislations in selected geographies and advise management on tax changes that will impact the business
- Follow tax digitalization trends and tax policy changes.
- Provide tax training to Finance or the business, where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate…
- Has excellent tax legal analytical skills with the ability to untangle and analyze complex tax issues and to integrate legal advice and business knowledge, while providing balanced, strategic advice regarding risks and benefits
- Has strong business acumen and creative problem-solving skills
- Able to connect multi-dimensional data and collaborate with others to carry out appropriate analysis and drive decision making in line with business objectives/insights, financial plans and tax regulations
- Communicates well (written and verbal); able to develop and present value propositions to stakeholders of various levels and abilities from a tax perspective
- A good PMO lead who is able to drive, execute and monitor the implementation of multiple projects, and addresses obstacles effectively
- Able to prioritize multiple responsibilities and activities and pivot quickly when necessary
- Willing to engage in a broad range of activities necessary to support the tax planning function
- Able to maintain effectiveness in an environment with uncertainties
- Operates at an expert tax adviser level and can learn and navigate technical/new concepts independently
- Go-getter; proactive and a team player
- Enjoys collaborating with others; constantly seeking to identify win/win solutions and align goals with Visa’s strategic objectives
- At least ten years of experience gained in private practice and/or in-house with multinationals, with significant legal experience
- LLB Law degree required
- Bar qualification in an AP or Commonwealth jurisdiction required
- Direct/International tax expertise in multiple AP countries required; Indirect tax expertise preferred
- Experience in dealing with tax counsel, tax authorities and government agencies directly
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates with the right to work in Singapore. We are keeping the situation under close review and will adjust accordingly should the restrictive measures be lifted.