Economist - Asia Pacific
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Business and Economic Insights (BEI) delivers actionable intelligence into the evolving global economy for Visa and Visa’s clients. The group harnesses its expertise, multiple data sources and deep client relationships to provide cutting-edge insights into consumer spending and the payments industry. Through close client engagement, BEI delivers these insights to inform business planning and management decisions.
What an Economist does at Visa:
We are looking for a proven thought leader who has in-depth knowledge and experience in regional consumer economics and payments industry trends. This individual will function as a subject matter expert on regional economic and industry trends and be able to derive thematic and commercial insights from them. In doing so, the individual will enhance the Visa brand within Visa Worldwide Inc, with our clients and the public.
Why this is important to Visa
As an economist in Visa’s highly regarded Business and Economics Insights Team – part of the Visa Consulting and Analytics group – you will be responsible for:
- Establishing and further enhancing credibility as a thought leader in the consumer economics and payments industry by leveraging multi-media client and public outreach efforts to promote Visa’s brand and business
- Utilising your proven ability to synthesis’s economic and financial data from private and government sources to develop new insights into the payments industry specifically addressing key regional markets.
- Translate complex macroeconomic and industry trends into accessible and compelling narratives derived from Visa’s unrivalled consumer data assets
- Mine existing Visa data and create and develop commercial methods to forecast, track and communicate country, sector and form-factor trends, performance and industry change drivers at a granular level
- Contribute to and enhance multi-media outreach effort
- Support the Principal Asia Pacific Economist and the global economics team in developing compelling narratives that communicate trends powerfully by blending data and story telling
- Work cross-functionally across geographies to align Visa Global Solutions, Strategy, Product, Analytics, Finance, Marketing and Sales objectives and resources with client business needs.
What you will need:
To succeed in this demanding and rewarding role you will need the ability to think and communicate creatively to differentiate Visa’s unique understanding of the consumer economy and payment trends both internally and externally. Ideally, you will have:
- An advanced graduate degree (MS) in economics or business administration; however, relevant experience in lieu of advanced degree will be considered.
- 10 years’ experience in the financial services or economic consulting industry.
- Self-starter with an ability to manage own and others' priorities and adapt as required to an unstructured and fast paced work environment
- Strong communication skills both written and oral.
- Demonstrated skills in story-telling through distilling complex analysis into easily digestible messages. \Fluency in a regional language is a plus
What will also help:
Given the nature of Visa’s large, unstructured data assets, an interest in or experience of blending large data sets with public economic data sets will be an advantage. Demonstrated skills in story-telling through distilling complex analysis into easily digestible messages will be a distinct advantage, as will fluency in a regional language.
Projects you will be a part of:
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology and the owner of the world’s largest consumer data assets you will be analyzing consumer and merchant behavior in real-time at a highly granular level. The economic projects will be differentiated from other economic voices by their complexity, real-time visibility and lack of latency in providing real-time insights both internally and externally on the trillion dollar payments industry and fast-growth digital payments markets in Asia.
You will be working on the development and socialization of next generation data tools that track actual consumer and merchant behavi, not sentiment or forecasts, and working with our clients and partners to navigate the challenges and opportunities this highly granular level of analysis reveals.
If you are interested in applying your economic skill set and learning cutting edge data-science techniques to predict where the world’s next billion consumers and merchants will emerge, what they will buy and sell, how they will connect to each other, and how they pay and get paid, then this Asia Pacific Economist role at Visa is the opportunity for you.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving visa/travel restrictions in place, we are currently only able to extend offers to candidates with the right to work in Singapore. We are keeping the situation under close review and will adjust accordingly should the restrictive measures be lifted.