Senior Data Scientist
- Tokyo, Japan
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Visa Consulting and Analytics team provides analytics and consulting services to address client business problems leveraging market and internal data. In addition to building and automating interpretable and actionable predictive models, we assist clients in execution of models and evaluation of results.
The team interacts with stakeholders and team members across multiple functions, and thus strong intuition for developing analytic models that can solve specific business concerns is essential. The role further entails innovating new analytics services as we scale out our activities.
What a Senior Data Scientist does at Visa:
- Executing multiple medium to large analytic projects along with rest of the stakeholders in analytics & consulting teams
- Establishing best practices for change management, model automation and production rollout
- Familiarity with batch processing and process monitoring for model refresh
- Meeting with clients to explain model results, answer questions and propose further analysis
- Actively seek out opportunities to improve processes and technologies
- Collaborating with the internal teams to fully understand business requirements and desired business outcomes
- Defining detailed analytic scope and methodology, and creating an analytic plan
- Executing with appropriate statistical and machine learning techniques
- Providing thought leadership in both using data to solve business problems and arriving at innovative technology and statistical solutions
- Ensuring project delivery within timelines and budget requirements
- Work as independent contributor mostly and as a team lead if needed by providing guidance to other team members when required
Why this is important to Visa
VCA’s services allow our clients to boost their business performance through leveraging Visa’s expansive market insights and data. Our role in Japan in particular is pivotal in advancing the transition towards a more cashless payments landscape.
What you will need:
- 5 years of analytical experience in applying statistical solutions to business problems
- Graduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in computer science, or a quantitative field such as physics, statistics or mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in processing large data sets using Hive and related tools
- Fluency in multiple technologies and languages (Java/C/C++/Python/R/SQL), with experience in at least one compiled language
- Experience with a wide cross section of machine learning techniques : clustering, dimensionality reduction, variable selection, cross validation, neural networks, gradient boosting, linear & logistic regression
- Unix/Linux proficiency : command line tools, shell scripting
- Native level Japanese and business level English proficiency ( or vice versa )
What will also help:
- Ability to quickly ideate novel mathematical models to address new problems
- Experience in cards/payments, retail banking, or retail merchant industries
Projects you will be a part of:
- Attrition and propensity modelling
- Recommendation systems and clustering algorithms
- Network analysis
- LTV and forecasting algorithms
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Japan, we are currently unable to consider applicants based overseas who would require immigration sponsorship to live and work in Japan.