Senior Director, Controller (Sub Sahara Africa)
- Johannesburg, South Africa
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
- Ensure high quality and timely financial accounting and reporting in compliance with corporate policies, US GAAP, Local GAAP, SEC and SOX requirements.
- Build a strong governance culture and promote a strong control environment
- Work with the Region leadership team to create a strong accountability and controls culture
- Collaborate with the regional shared services to ensure operational excellence and quality financial statements
- Support and be an active member of the CEMEA Region Controllership function to drive the Corporate and Regional controllership strategy and vision
- Actively participate in the Region’s risk committee and other governance committees as appropriate to ensure adequate risk management and governance is exercised in conducting Visa business
- Ensure transactions are captured, recorded, summarized and reported in compliance with policies & procedures, US GAAPs, IFRS, as well as statutory, corporate and tax requirements (as applicable).
- Ensure filing of timely and accurate local statutory financial statements ensuring compliance with local GAAPs. Ensure consistent treatment in line with Global policies. This includes knowledge and reconciliation of US to Local GAAP differences.
- Work closely with CEMEA Controller as well as other team members in the Controllership space to assess requirements for change in processes and procedures. Initiate and propose procedural changes to enhance data quality and process flows.
- Work closely with the SSA Group Country Manager, other country managers and stakeholders to ensuring successful business results are driven in full compliance with company policy
- Lead Operations Support team in SSA
- Drive efficiency through automation of business processes while leveraging Visa’s fully integrated accounting system and other
- Drive projects as in line with the company’s strategy
- Assess financial and non-financial impact of changes to accounting policies processes and other procedures applicable for the business
- Drive continuous efficiency and effectiveness in day-to-day activities
- Participate in Global projects on a need basis
- Work closely with business departments, other finance functions while leading Operations Support team to assist in implementation of policies and procedures to drive a high quality business objectives and resolve issues.
- Analyze executed business transactions to detect anomalies and non-compliances. Work with other supporting functions to investigate report and assist the business units to remediate issues and implement effective controls to avoid re-occurrence. Provide general oversight of internal controls and drive an internal controls culture
- Work closely with the Controllers and other team members to address issues raised by auditors.
- Ensure meeting deadlines for monthly, quarterly and annual financial close. Quality of accounting records – compliant with corporate policies, GAAP, SEC and SOX. Accurate accounting of transactions – leading to minimum accounting adjustments/errors.
- Leadership quality in the form of effective supervision/advice given and effectiveness of the team in jointly producing the desired output. Be a role model to demonstrate efficient execution, constant enhancement in ownership and core values.
- Effective leadership and management of a strong Controllership team in Sub-Sahara Africa
- Effective partnership with business leads to drive successful and compliant business in SSA
- Good understanding of process work flow to define/solve problems and issues and to identify key controls
- Lead and operate with minimal supervision and make decisions based on acquired skills and knowledge.
- Effective communication with stakeholders to ensure consistent application of policies and procedures.
- Excellent project management skills to drive various projects to completion with minimal supervision.
- Ensure presence of effective controls
- Non-recurrence of audit issues.
- Timely and effective implementation of assigned projects/duties.
- Make decisions on appropriate accounting treatment for transactions in compliance with published policies and guidelines.
- Prioritize tasks within job function balancing the need to meet tight deadlines and other corporate demands.
- Initiate and implement process changes within assigned function to improve controls, productivity or quality of work output.
- Exercise good judgment to escalate issues to Regional Controller CEMEA along with recommended solution to resolve.
- Liaise and respond to queries from internal / external auditors, HQ and Hub finance and Tax with recommendations on action plans to resolve detected discrepancies.
- Degree in Accounting or professional accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA CPA or equivalent)
- Minimum 15 years of relevant accounting and controls related experience (ideally in a multi-national publicly traded company)
- Hands on experience with US GAAP/IFRS and SEC/statutory requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work well in a fast paced and high volume environment
- Experience in a Big 4 public accounting firm is a strong advantage
- Strong technical accounting skills, and experience researching and documenting accounting issues
- Knowledge and Experience of controls and risk management
- Knowledge and experience in COSO / SOX
- Proficiency with Microsoft office applications – Excel, Word, Access
- Conceptual and working knowledge of financial database
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of Oracle, Ariba, Hyperion and other related tools
- Strong business ethics
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent networking and ability to work in large – matrixed teams
- Excellent communication and executive presence
- Ability to work well under pressure and juggle multiple priorities
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.