Analyst, State Government Engagement
- San Francisco, CA, United States
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world.
Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Analyst, State Government Engagement – will report to the Sr. Director, Head of State Government Engagement and be based in San Francisco. The successful candidate will be a self-starter with strong organizational, verbal and writing skills, who is comfortable covering multiple assignments including effectively and professionally interacting with local and state level policy makers, their staff and industry colleagues. S/he should have solid staff-level, state legislative or trade association experience working in the public, private, or not-for-profit sectors, ideally with a focus on government relations or public policy issues.
This position will be involved in all aspects of Visa’s government engagement work, including providing some administrative support to our state government engagement lobbying team and select Visa executives, as well as working with consultants and efficiently managing and interacting with a number of trade associations, state and local level policy organizations. The job will include advocacy writing to further Visa’s policy agenda, executive correspondence and assisting with both administrative and compliance responsibilities relating to our advocacy work. The role includes a broad range of project and issue management work related to state and local government engagement combined with direct stakeholder interaction.
Candidates should be comfortable with a fair amount of travel to support Visa’s State and Local Government Engagement team and executives at conferences and meetings around the U.S., when travel resumes post-pandemic.
This primary support and entry level-advocacy role is a great development opportunity for someone with a can-do attitude who has achieved a solid foundation in public policy and is now seeking to grow and learn in a fast-paced work environment on a highly efficient team of government engagement professionals.
Visa’s Global Government Engagement team shapes the policy and regulatory environment to grow our business and advance Visa’s mission. We are trusted advisors to governments, clients, and partners. We strive to build the most innovative, reliable and secure global payments ecosystem - one that enables everyone to participate fully in the digital economy, delivering economic growth and positive social outcomes. We are diverse and inclusive – committed to being a best-in-class team of government relations, policy, and stakeholder engagement professionals.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Supporting engagement with local and state level policy makers in-state, and at third-party organization meetings.
· Supporting and managing membership organizations and trade associations to help advance Visa’s policy agenda.
· Providing effective and professional-level interaction with local level policymakers to educate them on Visa’s policy agenda.
· Interacting and working collaboratively with industry colleagues and other stakeholders.
· Assisting with compliance requirements related to state level advocacy efforts and helping manage our state corporate political contributions program.
· Writing, including advocacy content development and production of periodic government engagement reports to internal stakeholders, including biweekly and monthly activity reports for executives and other employees.
· Supporting Visa’s legislative agenda by helping prepare policy briefings, position papers and presentations.
· Monitoring and coordinating legislative tracking and meeting engagements.
· Coverage and reporting of external hearings and meetings in support of Visa’s public policy engagement.
· Assisting with special projects including presentations to executives; research on policy initiatives, and support of external advocacy-related events.
· Some administrative duties in support of the Government Engagement team.
- 2 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- A minimum of 3-4 years of experience working on policy and business issues in the private sector or in government, with a focus on financial services, payments, or the technology sector.
- Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Good familiarity with the legislative and regulatory process.
- Ability to discretely handle sensitive information, which may be confidential or material, non-public.
- Proven ability to operate effectively and efficiently in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task and independently manage and prioritize work, while meeting key deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on high quality work and consistent performance over time is essential.
- Exercise good judgment in setting priorities and interacting with internal and external contacts.
- Excellent relationship management skills and ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Proven experience acting in a proactive, solutions-oriented manner, looking for ways to add value and assist the team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially PowerPoint, and Word) and SharePoint (all applicants subject to Microsoft skills testing).
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0-20% of the time, when safe to do so.
LOCATION & SPONSORSHIP:
- Work Authorization: Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment for this position. Visa will not sponsor applicants for work visas in connection with this position.
- Location: SF office. Relocation assistance will not be offered
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.